Hohman orbits University Physics I

In summary, a Hohmann orbit is a special elliptical orbit used in spaceflight to transfer a spacecraft between two circular orbits. It is the most efficient way to transfer because it requires the least amount of energy. The spacecraft first enters an elliptical orbit with one end at the departure point and the other at the destination point, and then performs a burn at the far end of the ellipse to circularize the orbit at the destination. The main advantage of a Hohmann orbit is its efficiency and predictability, but it is limited to transferring between two circular orbits. The calculation of a Hohmann orbit involves determining the required delta-v and timing of the burn using mathematical equations or computer simulations.
THTremere

Homework Statement

Im not sure how to solve this one...

Hohmann orbits are the lowest energy orbits to move things from one planet to another in a solar system. In order to send something from the Earth to another planet in the solar system, you launch the object when the Earth and the other planet are laid out at the opposite ends of the major axis of an ellipse which has the sun at one focus. Let's see how useful Hohmann orbits can be launching something from the Earth to Mars. Take th distance from the Earth to the sun to be 1.5x10^11m, and from Mars to the sun to be 2.3x10^11m. The mass of the sun is 2x10^30kg.
a) Let's say that the total energy required for the Hohmann orbit around the sun from the Earth to Mars for a probe is -3x10^11 J. What is the mass of a probe that can achieve this energy requirement?

I am thinking it involves setting up E tot= K + U(gravitational) But I am not sure really where to go from there! I don't have a velocity...maybe use conservation of angular momentum...Anyway I am not sure how to even set up this problem it seems. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

E=K+U
E=1/2mV^2 - GMm/r
L=L (angular momentum)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure how to set this one up...If I could get a shove in the right direction I could really attempt this :)

I tried this ... mp(mass of the probe)=E-total/(1/2V^2-GM(earth)/r(earth)-GM(sun)/R(sun)-GM(mars)/r(mars)
I doubt that is correct though...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track with using the equation E=K+U. To find the mass of the probe, you will need to rearrange the equation to solve for mass. This can be done by setting the total energy requirement equal to the kinetic energy (since the probe will have no potential energy at the beginning and end of its journey).

So the equation would be E tot = 1/2mv^2. You can then plug in the given values for the energy requirement and the distance between the Earth and Mars to solve for the velocity of the probe. From there, you can use the equation for kinetic energy to solve for the mass of the probe.

As for using conservation of angular momentum, that would not be necessary in this problem since the Hohmann orbit is a two-body problem (only considering the Earth and Mars). Conservation of angular momentum would come into play if there were more than two bodies involved, such as if you were trying to send the probe to a planet further out in the solar system. Hope this helps and good luck!

As a scientist, it is important to approach a problem in a systematic and logical manner. In this case, we are given the energy requirement for a Hohmann orbit from Earth to Mars and we need to determine the mass of a probe that can achieve this energy requirement.

First, we need to understand the concept of Hohmann orbits and how they work. As mentioned in the problem statement, Hohmann orbits are the lowest energy orbits to move objects from one planet to another in a solar system. In order to achieve this, the object is launched from Earth when it and Mars are at opposite ends of an ellipse around the sun, with the sun at one focus.

Now, let's look at the equations we have been given. The total energy required for a Hohmann orbit is given by the equation E_tot=K+U, where E_tot is the total energy, K is the kinetic energy, and U is the gravitational potential energy. We also have the equation for gravitational potential energy, U=-GMm/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body (in this case, the sun), m is the mass of the smaller body (probe), and r is the distance between the two bodies.

From these equations, we can see that the energy required for a Hohmann orbit depends on the masses of the two bodies, the distance between them, and the velocity of the smaller body. However, we are not given the velocity in this problem. So, how can we solve for the mass of the probe?

One approach is to use the concept of conservation of energy. In a Hohmann orbit, the total energy is constant, meaning it remains the same throughout the entire orbit. This means that the energy required for a Hohmann orbit from Earth to Mars is equal to the energy required for a Hohmann orbit from Mars to Earth. So, we can set up an equation where the energy required for the Hohmann orbit from Earth to Mars is equal to the energy required for the Hohmann orbit from Mars to Earth. This equation would look like this:

E_tot (Earth to Mars) = E_tot (Mars to Earth)

Substituting in the values given in the problem statement, we get:

-3x10^11 J = 1/2mV^2 - GMm/r (Earth to Mars) = 1/2mV^2 - GMm

Related to Hohman orbits University Physics I

1. What is a Hohmann orbit?

A Hohmann orbit is a special type of elliptical orbit used in spaceflight to transfer a spacecraft from one circular orbit to another. It is the most efficient way to transfer between two orbits because it requires the least amount of energy.

2. How does a Hohmann orbit work?

In a Hohmann orbit, the spacecraft first enters an elliptical orbit with one end at the departure point and the other at the destination point. Then, the spacecraft performs a burn at the far end of the ellipse to circularize the orbit at the destination. This transfer maneuver is known as the Hohmann transfer.

3. What are the advantages of using a Hohmann orbit?

The main advantage of a Hohmann orbit is its efficiency. It requires the least amount of energy to transfer between two orbits, making it the preferred method for space missions. Additionally, it is a well-understood and predictable maneuver, making it easier to plan for and execute.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Hohmann orbit?

One limitation of a Hohmann orbit is that it only works for transferring between two circular orbits. If the departure and destination orbits are not circular, a different type of transfer maneuver, such as a bi-elliptic transfer, may be more efficient.

5. How is a Hohmann orbit calculated?

The calculation of a Hohmann orbit involves determining the required delta-v (change in velocity) for the transfer maneuver, as well as the timing of the burn. This can be done using mathematical equations and orbital mechanics principles, or through computer simulations and numerical methods.