Homogenous Fluorescent Solution

• Thread starter corvus corax
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a white fluorescing dye in the 380-400nm excitation range that can be mixed with heavy mineral-oil without separating when centrifuged. The desired color is white as perceived by an observer, which can be achieved with a mixture of red, green, and blue fluorescing dyes. The term "tenaciously homogenous" refers to a solution with a tendency towards even distribution of its constituents, and soluble dyes would work for this purpose.
corvus corax
Heyo.
I'm looking for a white fluorescing dye in the 380-400nm excitation range. It needs to be combined with heavy mineral-oil such that the resulting solution is tenaciously homogenous and will not separate out when centrifuged.
Many thanks,
-CC

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Define "white" and "tenaciously homogenous". If you mean white as perceived by the human eye, it seems to me that a mix of red, green and blue fluorescing dyes would work. Soluble dyes won't settle but how stable these are over time is questionable.

Yeah, fair enough:
So as far as the fluorescing color goes, I would be looking for white as perceived by an observer.
When I say tenaciously-homogenous, what I mean is that the solution could have a tendency towards homogenous distribution of its constituents when left alone. The particles would always tend to have random distribution throughout the volume of the mineral-oil.

-CC

corvus corax said:
Yeah, fair enough:
So as far as the fluorescing color goes, I would be looking for white as perceived by an observer.
So a mixture of three different colors would work as well.

When I say tenaciously-homogenous, what I mean is that the solution could have a tendency towards homogenous distribution of its constituents when left alone. The particles would always tend to have random distribution throughout the volume of the mineral-oil.-CC
You are saying that soluble fluorescent dyes would work for you. You don't need particles at all.

Most washing powders contain such a mixture of fluorescent dyes giving the impression of white light.

Related to Homogenous Fluorescent Solution

1. What is a homogenous fluorescent solution?

A homogenous fluorescent solution is a liquid mixture in which the fluorescent molecules are evenly dispersed, resulting in a uniform fluorescence throughout the solution.

2. What is the purpose of using a homogenous fluorescent solution in experiments?

The purpose of using a homogenous fluorescent solution is to accurately measure and visualize certain components or reactions in a sample. The fluorescence of the solution can reveal the presence, concentration, and location of specific molecules or compounds.

3. How is a homogenous fluorescent solution made?

A homogenous fluorescent solution is typically made by mixing a fluorescent dye or probe with a solvent, such as water or ethanol, and thoroughly mixing the solution to ensure even distribution of the fluorescent molecules.

4. What factors can affect the homogeneity of a fluorescent solution?

The homogeneity of a fluorescent solution can be affected by factors such as the concentration of the fluorescent molecules, the type and quality of the solvent used, and the mixing technique. Contaminants or impurities in the components can also impact the homogeneity of the solution.

5. How can the homogeneity of a fluorescent solution be verified?

The homogeneity of a fluorescent solution can be verified through visual inspection, where a uniform fluorescence throughout the solution indicates homogeneity. Additionally, techniques such as spectrophotometry or fluorescence microscopy can be used to measure the fluorescence intensity at different points in the solution, providing quantitative data on the homogeneity.