Horizontal and vertical parity check

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of detecting errors and specifically, using even parity checks. The question in the attached file asks for the filling of blanks with vertical and horizontal parities, with an additional instruction to detect an error in the circled part. The second image shows that the first question has been answered. However, it is unclear how to find the error and why it exists.
MissP.25_5
Hello. I need help in detecting error. The question in the attached file is to first fill in the blanks with vertical and horizontal parities. Secondly, it says that there is an error in the circled part. My problem is, how do I find that error and why is there an error? In the second image, I show you that I have answered question no. 1.

Attachments

• IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_5158.jpg
    IMG_5158.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 746
Physics news on Phys.org
You are using even parity checks.

You would normally detect an error in a single bit because the parity check bits are wrong for the corresponding row and column.

From the information that you have provided there is no error; perhaps the problem asked you to _generate_ an error indication for that bit?

Related to Horizontal and vertical parity check

What is horizontal and vertical parity check?

Horizontal and vertical parity check is a method used in data transmission to detect and correct errors that may occur during the transmission of data. It involves the addition of extra bits to a block of data, known as parity bits, which are used to check for errors.

How does horizontal and vertical parity check work?

In horizontal parity check, a single parity bit is added to each row of data. This bit is calculated based on the number of 1s in that row. In vertical parity check, a parity bit is added to each column, calculated based on the number of 1s in that column. During transmission, the receiver can use these parity bits to check if any errors occurred in the data.

What are the advantages of using horizontal and vertical parity check?

The main advantage of using horizontal and vertical parity check is that it allows for the detection and correction of single-bit errors in data transmission. This helps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the data being transmitted.

What are the limitations of horizontal and vertical parity check?

Horizontal and vertical parity check can only detect and correct single-bit errors. This means that if multiple errors occur in a single row or column, this method may not be able to detect or correct them. Additionally, it does not provide any protection against burst errors.

How is horizontal and vertical parity check different from other error detection and correction methods?

Horizontal and vertical parity check is a simple and easy-to-implement method for error detection and correction. It is often used in combination with other techniques, such as cyclic redundancy check (CRC), to provide more robust error detection and correction capabilities.