Hovercraft Design: Calculating Diameter Holes in Hull

• Thread starter eng.m.mostafaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about hovercraft design and specifically, how to calculate the diameter holes in the hull for cushioning the hovercraft. The individual asking the question is seeking advice on how to determine the number, size, and placement of the holes for optimal performance. They also mention a previous design with 10 holes and provide a link for further information. Another individual joins the conversation, asking for any helpful formulations for hull design and the number of holes needed. They also provide their email for further communication.
eng.m.mostafaa
welcom every boddy
i want to ask u alittile about hovercraft design
1-i want to ask how can i calcoulate the dimaeter holes in hull for cushion the hovercraft
thank u :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself the following sort of questions:

What are the holes for? What needs to flow through them? How much stuff is going to flow through them? How fast will this stuff be going? What pressure will it be at?

I have built a hovercraft and I had approximatley 10: 1 inch by 1 inch holes(this worked well for my desighn) which was a 4 foot by 3 foot square with a donut skirt...this also might help http://www.amasci.com/amateur/hovercft.html

brewnog said:
Ask yourself the following sort of questions:

What are the holes for? What needs to flow through them? How much stuff is going to flow through them? How fast will this stuff be going? What pressure will it be at?

````````````````````````````````````````````
hi
i am a new user
if you have any fomulation about holl design and number of holes on it can help me?
we have dsign a 2*3 hull around hover but we no idea about the hieght and width of it?
my mail is "ahe1367@gmail.com"
thanks

Hello there,

Calculating the diameter holes in the hull for cushioning a hovercraft can be a complex process, as it involves considering various factors such as the weight of the hovercraft, the desired cushioning height, and the type of material used for the cushioning. However, a general approach to calculating the diameter holes would be to first determine the total weight of the hovercraft, including its cargo and passengers. This will give you an idea of the amount of air needed to lift the hovercraft.

Next, you will need to determine the desired cushioning height, which is the distance between the bottom of the hull and the surface it hovers over. This will depend on the terrain and conditions the hovercraft will be operating in.

Once you have these two values, you can use a formula such as the Archimedes' principle to calculate the volume of air needed to lift the hovercraft. This volume will then help you determine the diameter of the holes needed in the hull to allow the right amount of air to flow through and create the necessary cushioning.

It is important to keep in mind that the material used for the cushioning also plays a role in the calculation. For example, if you are using a more rigid material, you may need larger holes to allow for enough air to flow through. On the other hand, a more flexible material may require smaller holes.

I hope this information helps you in your hovercraft design. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Best of luck!

Related to Hovercraft Design: Calculating Diameter Holes in Hull

1. How do you determine the ideal diameter holes for a hovercraft's hull?

The ideal diameter holes for a hovercraft's hull can be determined by taking into consideration the weight of the hovercraft, the air pressure required for lift, and the speed at which the hovercraft will be traveling. These factors can be used to calculate the necessary air flow and pressure required for efficient lift and propulsion.

2. What materials are commonly used for hovercraft hulls?

The most commonly used materials for hovercraft hulls are fiberglass, aluminum, and plastic. These materials are lightweight, durable, and can withstand the constant exposure to air and water.

3. How do you ensure the stability of a hovercraft's hull?

The stability of a hovercraft's hull can be ensured by designing the hull with a low center of gravity and incorporating features such as fins or skirts to help maintain balance and control. Additionally, proper weight distribution and a well-designed hull shape can also contribute to stability.

4. Can the size and shape of the holes in a hovercraft's hull affect its performance?

Yes, the size and shape of the holes in a hovercraft's hull can greatly affect its performance. The diameter, number, and placement of the holes can impact the amount of air flow and pressure needed for lift and propulsion, as well as the overall stability and speed of the hovercraft.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing the holes in a hovercraft's hull?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when designing the holes in a hovercraft's hull. The size and placement of the holes should be carefully considered to prevent any potential hazards, such as water entering the hull or dangerous turbulence that could affect the stability of the hovercraft.