How Are Dual Vector Components Determined by Basis Vectors?

In summary: Essentially, the components of the dual space are determined by the basis vectors of the original space. This is justified by the fact that the basis vectors of the dual space are the dual basis of the original space.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between dual spaces and their components in a basis. The first equation shows that the components of a dual vector are determined by its values on basis vectors. The second equation justifies this by stating that the basis vectors of the dual space are the dual basis of the original space. The concept of using the same basis set to express the representation of functionals in an inner-product space is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a request for clarification on the term "vector form" and its relation to differential
noahcharris
Hi everyone,

So I'm going through a chapter on dual spaces and I came across this:

"A key property of any dual vector ##f## is that it is entirely determined by its values on basis vectors.

## f_i \equiv f(e_i) ##

which we refer to as the components of ##f## in the basis ##{e_i}##, this is justified by

##e^i(e_j) = \delta^i_j## "

-- This doesn't make any sense to me. How are the components of the dual space only dependent on the basis of V? Wouldn't that mean the components are always the same? I thought the whole point of components was that they varied.

Also, is the second equation assuming a cartesian basis? (not sure what the technical term is) Because I can think of some orthonormal bases for which this doesn't hold. i.e. I can think of some orthonormal basis where 'picking off' the ith component does not yield 1.

I'm obviously confused.

Dual spaces in general just confuse me, I understand that the dual space is the set of linear functionals on V, and that they can be represented as 1-forms, but as far as the details go (coordinates and bases of the dual space) I'm completely lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Using the Riesz Representation of functionals in an inner-product space, you can express any functional as an inner product with a vector in the space. Implying that you would use the same basis set to express the representation (i.e. vector form).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesz_representation_theorem

RUber said:
Using the Riesz Representation of functionals in an inner-product space, you can express any functional as an inner product with a vector in the space. Implying that you would use the same basis set to express the representation (i.e. vector form).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesz_representation_theorem

Could you expand what you mean by 'vector form'? Are you talking about a differential form (covector)?

The vector form I was referring to is just the ##f_i = f(e_i)## notation you used.

Likes mattclgn

Related to How Are Dual Vector Components Determined by Basis Vectors?

What are the components of a dual vector?

A dual vector, also known as a covector or one-form, is a linear functional that maps a vector space to its underlying field of scalars. The components of a dual vector are the coefficients that correspond to the basis vectors of the vector space.

How are the components of a dual vector represented?

In a finite-dimensional vector space, the components of a dual vector are typically represented as a row vector or a column vector. The row vector representation is known as the contravariant representation, while the column vector representation is known as the covariant representation.

What is the relationship between the components of a dual vector and those of a vector?

There is a one-to-one correspondence between the components of a dual vector and those of a vector. This means that for every dual vector, there exists a unique vector with the same components, and vice versa.

How are the components of a dual vector obtained?

The components of a dual vector can be obtained by taking the dot product of the dual vector with each basis vector of the vector space. This results in a set of scalar values, which form the components of the dual vector.

What are some applications of dual vectors?

Dual vectors are widely used in physics and engineering, particularly in fields such as electromagnetism and fluid mechanics. They are also used in optimization and mathematical modeling, as well as in the study of differential forms and tensors.