How are space-like intervals important?

In summary, spacelike intervals are important in relativity because they allow for different observers to disagree about the order of events. This means that there is no causal relationship between the events, as the cause must always precede the effect. However, with timelike intervals, all observers agree on the order of events, allowing for a causal relationship. "Information" is said to travel between events with spacelike separation, but this is not actually possible as it would violate the speed of light limit. Null-separated events are events with a spacetime interval of zero, and can be thought of as being on the surface of a light cone. Finally, while it is possible to construct coordinate charts with all spacelike axes, they cannot
Clueless
Time-like and light like separations between events make sense, because a particle or a light flash can travel between them. However, how can you have a space-like interval when even light cannot travel such an interval (because its velocity is not greater than c). Obviously the first event cannot cause the second event for a space-like interval.

I suppose it boils down to what I understand about WHAT is actually traveling between two events. "Information" is said to travel between these events. So what is this "information" that can travel above the speed of light? Or have I got it all wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spacelike intervals are important because if two events are separated by a spacelike interval then different observers will differ about which one happened first. Thus, there is no observer-independent way of saying which happened first, and thus no possibility that one of them caused the other (because the the cause must precede the effect for all observers).

In contrast, with timelike-separated events all observers will agree about which happened first and therefore it is possible that the first event was the cause of the second.

Likes Clueless
To add to what Nugatory said, events with spacellike separation are the relativistic generalization of Newtonian simultaneous events. Instead the Newtonian case, where you can definitely say simultaneous events occurred at the same time, in relativity you can say that any pair of events with spacelike separation may plausibly be considered to be simultaneous.

Likes cianfa72 and Clueless
Nugatory said:
with timelike-separated events all observers will agree about which happened first

Just a clarifying note, the same is true of null-separated events.

Likes nitsuj, Clueless and Nugatory
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I now have anroader understanding of the purpose and necessity of such an interval. However (I may very well be mistaken), this does not answer my question about how "information" can travel above the speed of light.

BTW what are null separated events?. Is it when some time interval is zero or...?

PeterDonis said:
Just a clarifying note, the same is true of null-separated events.

Clueless said:
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I now have anroader understanding of the purpose and necessity of such an interval. However (I may very well be mistaken), this does not answer my question about how "information" can travel above the speed of light.
Information cannot travel faster than the speed of light.
If it were (hypothetically) possible, the events "message transmitted" and "message received" would be separated by a spacelike interval, which means that the two could not be causally related - but we can't have reception without transmission, so they must be causally related so must be timelike-separated.

BTW what are null separated events?. Is it when some time interval is zero or...?
Events are null-separated when the spacetime interval between them is zero. You'll often hear this called "lightlike" because the emission of a flash of light at one place and its arrival at another are always null-separated eventS.

Likes Clueless
If you are familiar with the concept of a light cone, then events that are space-like separated are outside each other's light cones, events that are time-like separated are inside each other's light cone (one in the other's future, the other in the one's past), and events that are null- or light-like separated are in the surface of each other's cones.

That's kind of the diagrammatic version of what Nugatory said.

Likes Clueless
Clueless said:

When constructing local axes in the Fermi-Walker way, the spatial axes are the 3-spacelike lines orthogonal to each other and the time direction.

All axes may be space-like, I think.

Likes Clueless
Mentz114 said:
All axes may be space-like, I think.

All three of the spatial axes are, yes. If you are constructing an orthonormal basis (which is how Fermi normal coordinates are constructed), it must have three spacelike axes and one timelike axis. It is possible to construct coordinate charts with all four basis vectors spacelike (for example, Painleve coordinates inside the horizon of a black hole), but the coordinate basis for such a chart cannot be orthonormal.

Likes Clueless

Related to How are space-like intervals important?

1. How do space-like intervals impact our understanding of space and time?

Space-like intervals play a crucial role in our understanding of the fabric of space and time. They represent the distance between two events that are occurring at the same time in different locations. This helps us understand the concept of simultaneity and how different observers may experience events differently due to their relative positions in space.

2. What is the significance of space-like intervals in the theory of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, space-like intervals are important because they are used to define the relationship between space and time. This relationship is described by the equations of special and general relativity, which have been proven to accurately predict the behavior of objects in our universe. Without space-like intervals, our understanding of the relationship between space and time would be incomplete.

3. How do space-like intervals affect our ability to measure distances in space?

Space-like intervals are essential for measuring distances in space. They allow us to accurately calculate the distance between two objects at the same time, which is necessary for understanding the vast distances between celestial bodies. Without space-like intervals, we would not be able to accurately measure distances in space and our understanding of the universe would be limited.

4. What role do space-like intervals play in the study of black holes?

In the study of black holes, space-like intervals are crucial for understanding the extreme gravitational forces at play. These intervals help us measure the distance between the event horizon (the point of no return) and the singularity (the center of a black hole). This allows us to better understand the effects of a black hole on the fabric of space and time, and how it warps our understanding of the universe.

5. How are space-like intervals used in the navigation of spacecraft?

Space-like intervals are used in spacecraft navigation to accurately determine the position of a spacecraft relative to other objects in space. By using precise measurements of space-like intervals, scientists and engineers can plot the trajectory of a spacecraft and ensure it reaches its intended destination. This is essential for the success of space missions and our exploration of the universe.