How Can a Beginner Start Learning Java, C++, Matlab, and Maple?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter plutoisacomet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, Junior college student here in Birmingham, AL plans to transfer to a 4yr. university in about 14 months. He wants to become proficient with Java and C++ programming, and wants to learn Maple. He has no programming experience, but is considering starting with a MIT Opencourseware Programming lead in class that is free and available online.
plutoisacomet
Hello guys, I am Junior college student here in Birmingham,al. I plan to transfer to a 4yr. university in about 14 months. I will be a double major in physics and EE. I feel I need to develop some advanced computational skills before my transfer to the senior college. The skills I want to master are Java and C++ programming. I would also like to become proficient with the tools of Matlab and Maple.
Warning: I have no programming experience. Can someone provide me with some resources that I can download. I am thinking of starting with a MIT Opencourseware Programming lead in class that is free and available online. It is :

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-090January--IAP--2005/CourseHome/index.htm
6.090 Building Programming Experience: A Lead-In to 6.001

Would this course be a good start before jumping into hardcore programming?
Thanks

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to get into programming is to set up a programming environment on your PC (Whether you feel like going all the way by installing Linux or BSD or spending hours on end trying to get MingW or Cygwin working on Windows) and look at simple code examples and experiment with them.
A good book on the C programming language is The C Programming Langauge by Kerninghan and Ritchie, which is the C programming book.
However, you did say C++... so you might not want that so as to not confuse yourself, but it is a very good book for the programming beginner. Plus, the synthax is just about the same in C++ or Java, so it would be a good start to non-object oriented programming.
I know I wouldn't have been able to learn how to program without learning how to use a terminal and a compiler and messing around with code examples.
If you get C, C++ or Java down, then MATLAB won't be a problem at all.
As for Maple, it's very easy to pick up. In fact, Maple 11 has a GUI so nice that you can rely on that alone. I haven't gotten around to learning how to program in Maple myself.
Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I am looking for that book now.
Thanks again

Related to How Can a Beginner Start Learning Java, C++, Matlab, and Maple?

What is the difference between Java, C++, Matlab, and Maple?

Java, C++, Matlab, and Maple are all different programming languages used for different purposes. Java is primarily used for web development and creating mobile applications, while C++ is commonly used for system programming and game development. Matlab is a language commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for data analysis and simulation. Maple is a programming language used for mathematical computations and creating scientific visualizations.

Which language is better for beginners, Java or C++?

Both Java and C++ have their own advantages and disadvantages for beginners. Java is known for its simplicity and ease of use, making it a popular choice for first-time programmers. On the other hand, C++ is a more complex language but offers better performance and is widely used in various industries. Ultimately, the choice between the two depends on personal preferences and the intended use of the language.

What resources are available for learning Matlab and Maple?

There are numerous online resources available for learning Matlab and Maple, including tutorials, documentation, and video courses. Both languages also offer their own official websites with resources for beginners, as well as online communities where users can seek help and share knowledge.

Can Matlab and Maple be used together?

Yes, Matlab and Maple can be used together for certain applications. For example, Matlab can be used to perform numerical computations and then export the results to Maple for visualization and further analysis. Both languages also offer compatibility with each other, making it easier to incorporate code from one into the other.

How can I find help with specific coding problems in Java, C++, Matlab, or Maple?

There are various online forums and communities where programmers can seek help with specific coding problems in Java, C++, Matlab, and Maple. Additionally, each language has its own official support channels, such as documentation, forums, and customer support, where users can ask for assistance with their coding issues.