How can I build my own EEG machine?

In summary, building an EEG machine from scratch is a complex and challenging task, with potential risks involved. It is recommended to start with simpler electronic projects and gain experience before attempting to build an EEG machine. Additionally, the usefulness of a homemade EEG machine may be limited without advanced knowledge and algorithms for analyzing brainwave patterns. It is important to carefully consider the potential risks and limitations before pursuing this project.
cnidocyte
As useful as an EEG machine would be for me, I can't afford to buy one but I'm going to build one in the near future. There is a lot of information on this site
http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/
and from what I've read so far, building an EEG machine is no simple matter. Not for the layman at least. I've never even used a soldering iron before, would you say I'd better practice building simpler circuits and devices before attempting to build an EEG machine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
AFAIK the only "challenging" part of an (non-invasive) EEG is the input amplifier that gets the signal from the electrode and makes it "loud enough" to do something with. The problem is noise and interference rejection. But I doubt that it's much worse than your typical microphone pre-amp. In fact if you can find an audio preamp that works down (very close) to DC you could probably use it our-of-the-box.

If you've done no electronic projects before, start with a few kits and toys, just to get the hang of it. http://www.goldmine-elec.com/ has some learning kits, and might even have a mic pre-amp in the list.

When connecting things to living tissue you need to be _very_ careful about grounding and the possibility of electric shock, so start out with devices that are powered by low voltage batteries and don't ever break the skin.

My advice would be forget about making a EEG machine.

Have you read the http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/WARNING.html" on their site?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question; Why do you need a EEG?

I just can't see the usefulnes of a homemade EEG, even if you get some good readings, you still need to know how to analyse them. Using the readings to other things than check for sleeping disorder requires advanced learning algorithms and lots of data.

Also what dlgoff said. Serious health risk involved!

Build a normal sound amplifier instead is my advice.

I remember reading about a guy who had designed a wearable EEG for his dog (complete with cute bone-shaped enclosure worn on the dog's collar) once in Circuit Cellar. It logged the EEG data and detected how often, and when, his dog was having seizures.
http://www.cc-webshop.com/214-May-2008Electronic-Data-Logging-And-Analysis-SA-2008-214-41.htm?categoryId=-1

Unfortunately, that article isn't available unless you buy it or have a subscription. Still, I echo some of the other sentiments in this thread about the utility of your own EEG (unless you're a doctor or medical researcher, or some such)

schip666! said:
If you've done no electronic projects before, start with a few kits and toys, just to get the hang of it. http://www.goldmine-elec.com/ has some learning kits, and might even have a mic pre-amp in the list.

Will do thanks. I haven't even grasped all the theory yet, I got up to transistors but got sick of reading all the theory without putting any of it into practice. I suppose its about time I started.

dlgoff said:
My advice would be forget about making a EEG machine.

Have you read the http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/WARNING.html" on their site?

Yes I read the warning. I'm too determined to be swayed by that though.

SirAskalot said:
Question; Why do you need a EEG?

I just can't see the usefulnes of a homemade EEG, even if you get some good readings, you still need to know how to analyse them. Using the readings to other things than check for sleeping disorder requires advanced learning algorithms and lots of data.

Also what dlgoff said. Serious health risk involved!

Build a normal sound amplifier instead is my advice.
I want to see what brainwave patterns are predominant when I'm in different states of mind i.e. sleep paralysis, on psychoactives, hypnotic trance. What would I do with a sound amplifier? Are you experienced with reading these things? I don't have too much time to put into learning this so maybe I'll this isn't a realistic plan I'm starting here.

MATLABdude said:
Still, I echo some of the other sentiments in this thread about the utility of your own EEG (unless you're a doctor or medical researcher, or some such)
I'm planning on studying neuroscience once I get my chemistry BSc so it would definitely come in useful in the long run but maybe I'll take this project off my list of priorities for now.

Good on powering through the scary warnings and attempts to discourage exploration of horribly too-complicated-for-amateurs topics. I wish you luck, and hope that you don't electrocute your dog or whomever is your experimental subject...

My advice on electronics is: Just skip the transistors, ignore (almost) all of the theory, and build some kits using Integrated Circuits. Then you'll know if you're cut out for the field.

cnidocyte said:
Yes I read the warning. I'm too determined to be swayed by that though.
As long as you read it. And being hard headed can be a good thing. :smile:

Are you experienced with reading these things? I don't have too much time to put into learning this so maybe I'll this isn't a realistic plan I'm starting here.
I'm not experienced with the readings but there was a time years ago that I was involved with biofeedback and used one. The first thing that I had to learn before being ready to use "feedback" from the EEG machine was to simply control the temperature of my hands. A simple temperature sensor on my finger with, in this case, filtered pink noise as the feedback. It didn't take long to change the my hands temperature 15 deg F. Now the eeg machine I was hooked up to had at least a dozen channels IIRC. And again, filtered pink noise was the feedback mechanism. With some practice, you can put yourself in a sleep state while being couscous, albeit very very relaxed. This particular eeg machine was designed with all the feedback hardware built in. It was an interesting experience and certainly helped me to realize how to eliminate stress.

cnidocyte said:
I want to see what brainwave patterns are predominant when I'm in different states of mind i.e. sleep paralysis, on psychoactives, hypnotic trance. What would I do with a sound amplifier? Are you experienced with reading these things? I don't have too much time to put into learning this so maybe I'll this isn't a realistic plan I'm starting here.

I can't brag about much experience in the field, but from a signal analysis aspect I can say getting cohering data will get tricky. Signal patterns will differ a lot depending on many factors. And if you are not able to tell the different from a propper reading and a faulty one, your likely too get a wrong perception about the subject, which will do you no good in neuroscience.

If you want too learn, read a book. No point in reinventing the wheel.

Related to How can I build my own EEG machine?

1. What is an EEG machine and how does it work?

An EEG (electroencephalogram) machine is a device that measures and records the electrical activity of the brain. It works by detecting the electrical signals produced by neurons in the brain and amplifying them for analysis.

2. What are the components needed to build an EEG machine?

The main components needed to build an EEG machine include electrodes, amplifiers, filters, and a data acquisition system. Electrodes are placed on the scalp to pick up electrical signals from the brain, amplifiers increase the strength of the signals, filters remove unwanted noise, and the data acquisition system records and stores the data.

3. Is it difficult to build your own EEG machine?

Building your own EEG machine can be a challenging and time-consuming process, as it requires a good understanding of electronics, signal processing, and programming. It also involves sourcing the right components and assembling them correctly. However, with proper research and guidance, it is possible to build a functioning EEG machine.

4. What are the benefits of building your own EEG machine?

Building your own EEG machine allows for customization and flexibility, as you can choose the components and software that best suit your needs. It can also be a cost-effective option compared to purchasing a commercial EEG machine. Additionally, the process of building it can provide valuable learning experiences and skills.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a DIY EEG machine?

Yes, safety should be a top priority when using a DIY EEG machine. It is important to follow proper instructions and precautions, such as ensuring the electrodes are clean and properly placed, and using appropriate filters to protect from electrical interference. It is also recommended to have a trained professional supervise the use of the machine.