How can I calculate the cooling time for a ball of iron?

In summary, the task is to determine how long it will take for a boll of iron with a given volume and specific heat to cool down from 1073 K to 1063 K in a vacuum. The given data includes the density of iron and the Newton's law of cooling equation. However, this equation does not apply in a vacuum and the student suggests using Stefan-Boltzmann's law to solve for the change in temperature. The student also asks if an approximation can be used for a black body.
alivedude

Homework Statement

A boll of iron with the volume ##V=\frac{4 \pi 0.01^3}{3}## heats up to 1073 K in a chamber with vacuum, how long will it take until the iron is at 1063 K? The given data is this:
##\rho_{iron} = 7870 kg/m^3##
specific heat.. ##c_i = 0.5 \cdot 10^3 J/(kg \cdot K)##

Homework Equations

Newtons law of cooling: ##T(t)=(T_1-T_0)e^{-\frac{k}{c}t}+T_0##

The Attempt at a Solution

Im stuck with that ##k## in the exponential. I know how to use the differential equation but i can't solve for ##t## as long as i have that unknown ##k## there, right? Can I approximate it or something?

Can I do something else? Since they give me the volume and density I'm thinking that maybe i should go with some other approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's law of cooling does not apply in a vacuum. How does energy transfer happen in a vacuum?

mfb said:
Newton's law of cooling does not apply in a vacuum. How does energy transfer happen in a vacuum?

Ofc, don't know what I was thinking. But hey, then I could just calculate the amount of heat needed to lower the temp. by 10 K and then use Stefan Boltzmanns law to solve for ##dt## right? Can I approximate it for a black body?

The problem is solved! :)

Likes mfb

Related to How can I calculate the cooling time for a ball of iron?

1. How long does it take to cool a ball of iron?

The cooling time for a ball of iron depends on its size and the surrounding temperature. A small ball of iron may take a few minutes to cool down, while a larger one may take several hours.

2. What is the best method for cooling a ball of iron?

The best method for cooling a ball of iron is to place it in a container of cold water or oil. This will rapidly decrease its temperature and prevent it from overheating or losing its shape.

3. How does the cooling process affect the properties of iron?

Cooling a ball of iron can change its physical properties, such as its strength and hardness. It may also affect its magnetic properties, depending on the type of iron and the cooling method used.

4. Can a ball of iron be cooled too quickly?

Yes, cooling a ball of iron too quickly can cause it to become brittle and prone to shattering. It is important to control the cooling process to avoid damaging the iron.

5. Is it necessary to cool a ball of iron after heating it?

In most cases, yes. Cooling a ball of iron after heating is necessary to prevent it from overheating and to achieve the desired physical properties. However, there are some exceptions where iron does not need to be cooled after heating.