How can I design a rectangular piece of Silicon with n = 300cm^-3 at T = 300K?

• Thread starter bryand130
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed designing a rectangular piece of silicon with a specific electron density of n = 300cm^-3 at T = 300K. The formula n*p = ni^2 was used, with the given values of Eg = 1.12eV, k = 1.38x10^-23, and ni = 5.2 × 1015T3/2 e^(−Eg/2kT) electrons/cm^3, to determine the value of p. The relevance of the size of the piece was questioned, as the electron density is independent of the size. It was later discovered that the professor was simply asking about the process of doping to achieve the desired n and p values
bryand130
Design a rectangular bpiece of Silicon with n = 300cm^-3 at T = 300K. Be specific and quantitative

n*p = ni^2
ni = 5.2 × 1015T3/2 e^(−Eg/2kT) electrons/cm^3

Using the formula above, with Eg = 1.12eV = 1.792x10^-19 J, and k = 1.38x10^-23
i get ni = 1.0776x10^10 electrons/cm^3
Using the formula n*p = ni^2, i solved for p = 3.87x10^17

As far as where to go next, I'm unsure. I sent a message to my prof. asking what exactly he wants for this question, but I haven't received a response yet. Would it be even feasible to attempt to get dimensions for a solid using just these values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your p needs units.
I don't see how the size would be relevant here, unless there is something missing in the problem statement. You have to get a certain electron density, and this is independent of the size.

Last edited:
mfb said:
You p needs units.
I don't see how the size would be relevant here, unless there is something missing in the problem statement. You have to get a certain electron density, and this is independent of the size.

I got a message back from the prof. Turns out he was mostly just wanting to know what process would be used to actually make a piece of Si with n and p such as this. Essentially, he just wants to know what process of doping I would use. Oh well, I was pulling my hair out for nothing.

Related to How can I design a rectangular piece of Silicon with n = 300cm^-3 at T = 300K?

1. What is microelectronics?

Microelectronics is a field of technology that deals with the design and manufacture of miniature electronic devices and circuits. It involves the use of materials and components at a very small scale, typically on the micrometer or nanometer level.

2. What are some common applications of microelectronics?

Microelectronics is used in a wide range of industries and products, including smartphones, computers, medical devices, automotive electronics, and more. It is also used in research and development for advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and quantum computing.

3. How is microelectronics different from traditional electronics?

The main difference between microelectronics and traditional electronics is the size and scale of the components and circuits. Microelectronics uses very small components, such as transistors and diodes, which are typically less than 1 micrometer in size. Traditional electronics, on the other hand, uses larger components that are typically measured in millimeters or centimeters.

4. What is the role of a microelectronics engineer?

A microelectronics engineer is responsible for designing, testing, and manufacturing electronic devices and circuits at a small scale. They use their knowledge of physics, mathematics, and electrical engineering to develop new technologies and improve existing ones. They also work on creating more efficient and cost-effective production processes for these devices.

5. How does microelectronics impact our daily lives?

Microelectronics has a profound impact on our daily lives, as it is used in a wide range of consumer products and technologies. From smartphones and computers to medical devices and transportation systems, microelectronics plays a crucial role in making our lives easier, more efficient, and more connected. It also drives advancements in various industries and helps to create new innovations that improve our quality of life.