How can I fix a leaky toilet without replacing parts?

• Plumbing
  • Thread starter arabianights
  • Start date
In summary, the toilet is leaking from the overflow tube or the flapper valve. There are two possible causes, and either one could be fixed with a simple adjustment. If the leak is due to the overflow tube, then lifting the float will stop the water from spilling. If the leak is due to the flapper valve, then a visual inspection may show an obvious problem and replacing the valve may be necessary.
arabianights
TL;DR Summary
Help with fixing Leaky toilet
My mom lives in an old apartment building and her toilet is constantly leaking. I opened the cover and took a took. I couldn’t tell which part is causing the leak. Here’s a couple pictures of it

Attachments

• FAE17DFE-4A12-47BF-82F3-A13A0712BBB6.jpeg
    FAE17DFE-4A12-47BF-82F3-A13A0712BBB6.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DEBAB4C4-A540-4D3B-9BC7-87065822D5AE.jpeg
    DEBAB4C4-A540-4D3B-9BC7-87065822D5AE.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 633048BB-9E3E-45DC-8140-12D43BFA1C0D.jpeg
    633048BB-9E3E-45DC-8140-12D43BFA1C0D.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Two possible causes I can think of:
  1. Water goes through the overflow tube. This is due to a badly adjusted float that sets the water level too high. Readjusting the float should fix the problem;
  2. The flapper valve does not seal properly. A visual inspection might show an obvious problem and replacing it might be necessary.
overflow-tube-400x355.jpg

Likes hmmm27 and arabianights
jack action said:
Two possible causes I can think of:
  1. Water goes through the overflow tube. This is due to a badly adjusted float that sets the water level too high. Readjusting the float should fix the problem;
  2. The flapper valve does not seal properly. A visual inspection might show an obvious problem and replacing it might be necessary.
3. The inlet valve never closes completely no matter the force from the float and flows continuously.

If #1 then lifting gently up on the float will stop the leaking. The level can be adjusted by turning the screw in the third picture of post 1. Press down on the float when turning the screw to make it easier to turn. If the pictures provided are in the steady state then it looks like the level is not the problem.

If #2 is the problem then the fill valve will usually cycle on and off as the water level slowly falls and then is replenished by the inlet valve. If the leak is really bad then the water level will never rise. You have a canister flush valve so no flapping but it serves the same purpose as a flapper valve. Cleaning debris from the sealing surfaces may fix this. If you have a shutoff valve then you can close it and flush the toilet to get easier access. Hold the handle down until no more water flows.

If #3 Sometimes disassembling and cleaning out the valve can fix this without any replacement parts but the seal probably needs to be replaced. Often the whole valve assembly needs to be replaced. If you want to take apart the valve then shut off the water first or you will get an unexpected ceiling wash-down. After opening the valve and removing any loose parts you will want to flush the line. Place a cup or small container over the top of the valve and open the shut off briefly. Hold on tight as the water comes out forcefully.

BoB

Likes DaveE and Tom.G
rbelli1 said:
If #3 Sometimes disassembling and cleaning out the valve can fix this without any replacement parts but the seal probably needs to be replaced.
This approach may buy you some time but the parts are all pretty cheap so a trip to the plumbing supplies shop is the best solution. The cistern in the picture is not familiar to me but you can eliminate the (rubber ring?) as a possible cause if you isolate the system with the inlet valve. If it's the outlet valve then water will flow until the tank is empty. If it's the inlet valve not shutting off then overflow water will stop almost immediately. A new diaphragm in the inlet valve can be changed with very little trouble .

It does worry me that these vital mechanisms are so poorly made. They can develop splits and leaks quite spontaneously. In the good old days, the inverted bell-type flush was fail safe and the old fashioned ball cock, with its little rubber pad would last for many decades. But people change bathrooms almost as frequently as bath towels these days so the plumbing fittings are not often an issue.

Related to How can I fix a leaky toilet without replacing parts?

1. How do I know if my toilet is leaking?

To determine if your toilet is leaking, you can perform a simple dye test. Add a few drops of food coloring into the toilet tank and wait for 10-15 minutes. If the color appears in the toilet bowl without flushing, then your toilet is leaking.

2. Can I fix a leaky toilet without replacing any parts?

Yes, it is possible to fix a leaky toilet without replacing any parts. In some cases, the leak may be due to a faulty flapper or chain, which can be easily adjusted or replaced. However, if the leak is caused by a cracked or damaged component, it may be necessary to replace the part.

3. What tools do I need to fix a leaky toilet?

The tools you will need to fix a leaky toilet include an adjustable wrench, a screwdriver, and possibly a pair of pliers. You may also need a replacement flapper, chain, or other parts depending on the cause of the leak.

4. How do I fix a leaky toilet flapper?

To fix a leaky toilet flapper, first, turn off the water supply to the toilet. Then, remove the old flapper and replace it with a new one. Make sure the flapper is properly aligned and secured. Turn the water supply back on and test the toilet to ensure the leak has been fixed.

5. What should I do if I am unable to fix the leaky toilet myself?

If you are unable to fix the leaky toilet yourself, it is best to call a professional plumber. They will have the necessary tools and expertise to diagnose and fix the issue. Attempting to fix a leaky toilet without proper knowledge and tools can lead to further damage and potentially costlier repairs.