How can I gain practical proficiency in FEM for a career in FEA?

• Thread starter bda23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fem
In summary, to become proficient in numerical methods, you need to practice problems and gain experience.
bda23
Hello Everyone,

I've got a background in engineering, having studied quite a bit of finite elements (mainly for solid mech) at university and am thinking of moving into FEA as a career. However, I've always found that, in spite of studying FE books at university and at home, I don't seem to really gain proficiency/confidence in applying the FEM to actual problems. So many factors come into play, e.g. choosing the right element, time-stepping, scaling, etc etc which are not covered in any books I know. Is this knowledge something that only comes with experience working on problems or does anyone know of any hints (specific books or just in general) that could help me in gaining the knowledge necessary for practical analysis in industry? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have some experience in finite elements/volume and other numerical stuff, though more applied towards quantum systems, fluids and astrophysics instead of engineering. My experience is also rather limited, but here are my thoughts..

Effective use of numerical methods is largely based on how much you know about a particular method's behavior in a given situation. Some methods are diffusive, some do weird things at the origin which you may or may not be able to ignore for your problem, etc. So practicing problems is a huge part of understanding how it will all work. It's not always a pure logic game like analytic problems. Numerics will always be dirty and unclear-- new methods are being devised all the time to account or offset some particular value, negligible to the physics or artificial to the particular method (think viscosity in particle simulation, or diffusivity in grids).

Sorry the answer isn't more clear cut. You can only really get better by just working on more problems. Of course reading more books always helps, and in any case you might want to grab any book that you can to find problems to work on. You might want to also check out any CFD (computational fluid dynamics) or quantitative finance sites (I know of cfd-online or something, and wilmott which has some great resources if you poke around a bit for them, yo ucan Google these two places).

Good luck.

To quote from another PF thread,
You can't learn to ride a bike by reading books.
You learn to solve problems using FEM the same way that you learned to solve them with pencil and paper. Just do lots of problems. They don't have to be big problems. making ten small models will often teach you more (not only about the FE package, but also about what you are really trying to do) than making one big one.

Any good FE system will have a library of demo, verification, and/or benchmark models (if it doesn't, assume the people who wrote it never bothered to test it - so why are you using it??). They can be a good learning resource.

If you want to use an element type or solution procedure for the first time, always start by modeling a problem where you know the answer. And never forget the first law of computer modelling: all the output from every model is wrong, unless you can think of a very good reason why it's right.

Thanks to both of you, your comments were helpful. I suppose the main thing to take home is to practice problems and gain experience that way. I will also try to get to know the particular algorithms in more detail. Thanks again.

Hello there,

It's great to hear that you have a strong background in engineering and are considering a career in FEA. As with any field, gaining proficiency in FEM requires a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical experience.

Firstly, I would suggest identifying specific areas where you feel you need more knowledge or practice. This could be through self-assessment or seeking feedback from experienced FEA professionals. Once you have identified these areas, you can focus on improving your skills in those specific areas.

In addition to books, seeking out online courses or workshops on FEA can also be a helpful way to gain practical knowledge. These resources often cover real-world examples and provide hands-on experience with using FEA software.

Furthermore, networking with experienced FEA professionals and seeking mentorship can also be beneficial. They can offer insights and tips based on their own experiences and help guide you in your learning journey.

Ultimately, gaining proficiency in FEM requires a combination of continuous learning, practice, and seeking guidance from experienced individuals. With dedication and perseverance, I am confident that you will become proficient in FEM and excel in your career in FEA. Best of luck to you!

Related to How can I gain practical proficiency in FEM for a career in FEA?

1. What is FEM and why is it important in science?

FEM stands for Finite Element Method, which is a numerical technique used to solve complex engineering and scientific problems. It is important in science because it allows for the accurate analysis of structures and systems that cannot be solved analytically.

2. How does one gain proficiency in FEM?

To gain proficiency in FEM, one must have a strong understanding of mathematics, specifically in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages such as MATLAB or Python is essential. Hands-on experience with FEM software and practice with real-world problems is also crucial.

3. What are some common challenges when learning FEM?

Some common challenges when learning FEM include understanding the underlying theory and mathematical concepts, as well as choosing the appropriate element type and mesh size for a given problem. Additionally, debugging errors and interpreting results can also be challenging for beginners.

4. Are there any online resources for learning FEM?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning FEM, including video tutorials, online courses, and open-source software. Some popular resources include Coursera, YouTube channels such as NAFEMS and FEA Tutor, and open-source software like FreeFEM and CalculiX.

5. How can proficiency in FEM benefit a scientist?

Proficiency in FEM can benefit a scientist in many ways. It allows for the accurate analysis of complex problems, leading to more reliable results and informed decision making. It also saves time and resources by reducing the need for physical prototypes and experiments. Additionally, FEM skills are highly valued in many industries, making it a valuable skill for career advancement.