How can I get help with my MATLAB coursework?

In summary, if you are struggling with your Applications of Computing coursework, there are resources available to help you. The MATLAB documentation and tutorials, as well as online forums and tutorial sites, can provide guidance on how to approach and solve the problems. It is important to understand the basics of MATLAB programming and to seek out specific tutorials for the type of problem you are facing. Good luck with your coursework!
elliottmarter
I Have just received this coursework (see the two attachments below) from my Applications of Computing module and was looking to be able to discuss some questions I have as I go about completing the coursework.

View attachment MATLAB_Logistic_CW.pdf

View attachment Logistic_Map_Info.pdf

firstly by simplifying the formula given I have the following

Xn+1 = [tex]\lambda[/tex] Xn(1-Xn)

where
[tex]\lambda[/tex]: growth rate
Xn+1: population size next year
Xn: population size this year

then I will need to create a loop so that the value is put back into find the population size in the next year too, also another one of the inputs is "n" which defines how many times the loop is run, or for how many years in the future you want to calculate the populations' size. so I basically end up with a graph that curves up or down depending on if the population will survive or not

this curve then needs to be put on a subplot diagram with a y=x line along with a "cobweb" line, which in all honesty i have never come across...

all of this needs to be put in one m-file so that i could type for example

logmap(1,2,3)

and receive a cobweb diagram...

if I'm honest I feel that this piece of coursework is far too difficult for what we have been taught in our (very brief) 1 hour-a-week lectures, and my knowledge of MATLAB is also very limited, this annoys my as I could complete this with a pen and paper, its not like I don't understand what it is asking of me!

please don't take this as a request for someone to post the answers because that's not what I want, I just need someone to shed some light on how I go about it...or even some links to some tried and tested tutorial sites

thanks in advance guys,
elliottmarter

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for some help with your coursework, there are a few resources available online. First off, the MATLAB documentation and tutorials are a great place to start. You can find an extensive list of topics in their documentation here: https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/index.html. This should give you a good overview of the basics of MATLAB programming and how to use it to solve the problems posed by your coursework. You can also look for tutorials specific to the type of problem you are dealing with. For example, if you are trying to create a cobweb diagram, there are tutorials available that walk you through the steps of creating it in MATLAB. Finally, there are also many forums and discussion boards dedicated to helping people learn how to use MATLAB. You can search for topics related to your coursework on these websites and get answers from experienced users. Good luck with your coursework!

Related to How can I get help with my MATLAB coursework?

1. What is logistic mapping in MATLAB?

Logistic mapping is a mathematical function used to model population growth or decay over time. It is commonly used in biology, economics, and other fields to analyze and predict the behavior of a system.

2. How is logistic mapping implemented in MATLAB?

In MATLAB, logistic mapping can be implemented using the "logistic" function, which takes in a population value, growth rate, and carrying capacity as inputs. The function then calculates the population at the next time step based on the logistic equation: x_{n+1} = rx_n(1-x_n/K), where r is the growth rate and K is the carrying capacity.

3. What are the benefits of using logistic mapping in MATLAB?

One benefit of using logistic mapping in MATLAB is that it allows for the easy visualization and analysis of population dynamics. MATLAB also has built-in functions for fitting logistic models to data, making it a useful tool for predicting future population trends.

4. Are there any limitations to using logistic mapping in MATLAB?

One limitation of logistic mapping in MATLAB is that it assumes a constant growth rate and carrying capacity, which may not accurately reflect real-world systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the model depends on the quality and quantity of data used to fit the model.

5. Can logistic mapping be used for other applications besides population growth?

Yes, logistic mapping can be applied to many other phenomena besides population growth. It can be used to model the spread of diseases, the adoption of new technologies, and the behavior of financial markets, among others.