How can I graph systems of differential equations with Mathematica?

In summary, drawing a direction field for a system with matrices can be challenging, but there are steps you can follow to make it easier. These include understanding the concept of a direction field, using the PlotVectorField function in Mathematica, and utilizing eigenvalues and eigenvectors to construct the vector field. Seeking help from a textbook, instructor, or tutor can also be beneficial.
b2386
Hi all,

Right now I am doing some Diff equations homework but am having difficulty with a problem. The problem asks me to draw a direction field for the system [tex]x' = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1\\4 & 1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}x_1\\x_2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

The proper Mathematica function is of the form PlotVectorField[{f(x), f(y)},{x, xmin, xmax}, {y, ymin, ymax}], where f(x) and F(y) are the function in terms of x and y. I understand how to do this for a simple function such as [tex]y' -2y=4-t[/tex]. In this case, f(x) = 1 and f(y) = 2y-t+4. However, the matrices that I am currenly facing make things for difficult. The resulting graph should have axes of x_1 and x_2 but that's all I know for sure. Can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can understand your struggles with drawing a direction field for a system with matrices. Here are some steps that can help you with this problem:

1. First, let's understand what a direction field represents. It is a graphical representation of the slope of a solution to a differential equation at a particular point. In this case, we have a system of equations, so we will have multiple slopes at each point.

2. To plot a direction field in Mathematica, we need to use the PlotVectorField function as mentioned in the forum post. This function requires two inputs: the vector field and the domain.

3. The vector field in this case is the system of equations itself, which is x' = Ax, where A is the matrix given in the problem. So, we need to find a way to represent this in terms of x and y.

4. One way to do this is by using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A. The eigenvalues will give us the slopes of the solutions, and the eigenvectors will give us the direction of those slopes.

5. Once we have the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, we can use them to construct the vector field in terms of x and y. This can be done using the matrix multiplication and some algebraic manipulation.

6. Finally, we can use the PlotVectorField function to plot the direction field using the vector field we just constructed and the desired domain.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you need more guidance, I suggest consulting your textbook or seeking help from your instructor or a tutor. Good luck with your homework!

Hi there,

Graphing with Mathematica can definitely be tricky, especially when dealing with matrices. To draw a direction field for your system of differential equations, you can use the function StreamPlot[{f(x), f(y)}, {x, xmin, xmax}, {y, ymin, ymax}]. In this case, f(x) and f(y) would represent the two equations in your system. For example, if your system was x' = 3x + 2y and y' = 2x + y, then f(x) = 3x + 2y and f(y) = 2x + y. The resulting graph will show you the direction of the vector at each point (x,y) in the given range. I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

Related to How can I graph systems of differential equations with Mathematica?

1. What is Mathematica and how does it work for graphing?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for data analysis, scientific computing, and graphing. It uses a programming language called Wolfram Language to perform calculations and create visualizations. With Mathematica, users can input data, manipulate it, and create various types of graphs and charts to represent their data.

2. What types of graphs can be created with Mathematica?

Mathematica offers a wide range of graphing options, including basic plots such as line graphs, scatter plots, and bar charts. It also has more advanced options such as 3D plots, contour plots, and histograms. Users can also customize their graphs with labels, legends, and various formatting options.

3. How do I input data into Mathematica for graphing?

Data can be input into Mathematica in several ways. Users can manually enter data into a table, import data from a file, or use built-in functions to generate data. Mathematica also has the ability to import data from various sources such as spreadsheets, databases, and web APIs.

4. Can I export my graphs from Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica allows users to export their graphs in various file formats, including PDF, PNG, and JPEG. This is useful for sharing graphs with others or for using them in presentations or publications.

5. Is Mathematica user-friendly for beginners?

While Mathematica has a steep learning curve, it offers a user-friendly interface and provides helpful documentation and tutorials for beginners. With practice, users can become proficient in using Mathematica for graphing and other scientific computing tasks.