How can I have an image in space that I cannot reach out and feel with my hand?

In summary, this scientific gadget consists of two parobolic mirrors, one with a hole in it and you place an item in the bottom of one, turn the other mirror with the hole on top of it, and you can see the image of the item standing above the hole in the top mirror.
barryj
There is this science gadget that consists of two parobolic mirrors, one with a hole in it and you place an item in the bottom of one, turn the other mirror with the hole on top of it, and you can see the image of the item standing above the hole in the top mirror. How is this done? Are the mirrors parobolic, I am not sure. What does the focul length have to be. I do not know of any other way that I can see an image but when I try to touch it, it is not there. Explanation Please

Likes berkeman
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would be interesting to see a ray diagram showing how this works.

barryj said:
It would be interesting to see a ray diagram showing how this works.

The diagram they have in phinds' link shows two rays emerging from the object and converging at a point just above the device. These rays (and all the others from the rest of the object) pass right through each other and start to diverge. These rays diverge the same way that rays from a real object diverge and when you put your eye into their path the rays appear to be coming from an object hovering in air (because that's the closest point the rays are diverging from).

This imaginary object is known as a 'virtual object' in optics terminology.

Drakkith said:
This imaginary object is known as a 'virtual object' in optics terminology.

If by "imaginary object" you mean the image that is hovering above the device, then that is not a "virtual object." It is a "real image."

pixel said:
If by "imaginary object" you mean the image that is hovering above the device, then that is not a "virtual object." It is a "real image."

Whoops, you appear to be correct.

pixel said:
Okay, upon reviewing my class notes I figured out why I was confused. The example in my notes has a marginal and a chief ray intersecting and then being intercepted by a lens before they could form an image, thus forming a virtual object on the right side of the lens. I thought it was two chief rays or two marginal rays or something.

Off course the annoying part of these gadgets is that the object always hovers just below the hole, not above it.

Related to How can I have an image in space that I cannot reach out and feel with my hand?

1. How can an image exist in space if it cannot be physically touched?

The concept of an image existing in space refers to the idea of a visual representation of an object or scene being present in a specific location in space. This image can be perceived by the human eye, but it cannot be physically touched or held in the traditional sense.

2. How is it possible for an image to be seen without being able to touch it?

Images in space are made visible through the use of technology such as cameras, telescopes, or satellites. These devices capture light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation from the object or scene and transmit it to our eyes, allowing us to see the image without physically interacting with it.

3. Can images in space be seen from any location?

In order to see an image in space, one must have a clear line of sight to the location where the image is located. This means that the image may only be visible from certain vantage points or under certain conditions, such as clear weather or a specific time of day.

4. Why are images in space important to scientific research?

Images in space provide valuable information about objects and phenomena that are not easily accessible or observable through traditional means. They allow scientists to study and analyze distant objects and events, expanding our understanding of the universe and its workings.

5. Is it possible for humans to physically reach an image in space?

No, it is not possible for humans to physically reach an image in space. However, technology such as spacecrafts and probes have been used to physically reach and study objects in space, providing us with valuable information and images of these distant locations.