How can I improve my sci-fi writing and market myself as an amateur writer?

• Thread starter Jonathynblythe
  • Start date
In summary, to improve your sci-fi writing and market yourself as an amateur writer, it is important to first establish a strong understanding of the genre and its conventions. This can be achieved through reading widely and studying successful sci-fi works. Additionally, developing a unique and compelling story with well-developed characters is crucial. Building an online presence through social media and a professional website can also help to gain exposure and connect with potential readers. Networking with other writers and attending events such as writing workshops and conventions can also be beneficial. Lastly, continuously honing your writing skills and seeking feedback from beta readers and editors can greatly improve the quality of your work and increase your chances of success as a sci-fi writer.
Jonathynblythe
Hi, I'm an amateur sci-fi writer. Thanks for letting me in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually nothing that ever went to an internet site, magazine, or publication. It's mostly been quickie stuff for a college newsletter.

Likes jedishrfu
Well, you have to start somewhere and a college rag is pretty rad.

Years from now when you are rich and famous a fan will drag that story out and say "See I'm his number one fan and here's his first story as proof." and then promptly auctions it off for millions.

Internet sites are dicey as someone might steal and republish your story. There are some good writer websites where you can tips on how to write better and how to market yourself. Here's one:

http://www.writingexcuses.com/

Also Orson Scott Card has a writer's book which has pretty good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/158297103X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Have you read the series: The Expanse by James SA Corey (pseudonym of two authors)

The writing style is amazing, each chapter is organized around one character so that they can explore the same sequence of events from two or more perspectives or they can jump ahead and then fall back without losing the reader. Many things are really fleshed out and detailed. Also Syfy Channel has produced a short series on the first book: Leviathan's Wake

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky