How can I rotate the xyz axis in TikZ using the tdplotsetmaincoords command?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary, users of tikz may be interested to know that the z-axis is typically positioned where the x-axis is in 3D. While it can be renamed, this requires swapping coordinates and may affect the appearance. However, by utilizing the command \tdplotsetmaincoords, the xyz axis can be rotated to a desired angle without the need for coordinate swapping. This may be helpful for those looking to improve the appearance of their tikz diagrams.
Dustinsfl
I am not sure if you all who use tikz are aware of this but here is what I figured out today.

I am sure those of you who use tikz know that when you do (x,y,z) the z axis is where the x-axis usually is in 3D. You could always rename it but then you have to remember to swap coordinates x and z. Additionally, the appearance would be nicer if we could rotate the axis.

[LATEXS]
\tdplotsetmaincoords{72}{120}
\begin{tikzpicture}[line join = round, line cap = round, >=triangle 45, tdplot_main_coords]
[/LATEXS]
This will set the xyz axis in the normal position with a better appearance. This way you don't have to swap the x and z in (x,y,z).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the angles can be changed to whatever you want.\end{tikzpicture}I hope this helps anyone who was looking for a way to rotate the xyz axis in tikz.

Related to How can I rotate the xyz axis in TikZ using the tdplotsetmaincoords command?

1. What is the TikZ-3dplot package pointer?

The TikZ-3dplot package pointer is a tool used for creating three-dimensional (3D) graphics and diagrams in LaTeX using the TikZ package. It allows users to easily add 3D elements to their documents, such as plots, surfaces, and vectors.

2. How does the TikZ-3dplot package pointer work?

The package uses a set of macros and commands that allow users to specify the position, orientation, and appearance of 3D objects in their diagrams. It also utilizes the underlying framework of the TikZ package to create the graphics in a customizable and efficient manner.

3. What are the main features of the TikZ-3dplot package pointer?

The package offers a variety of features, including the ability to create 3D coordinate systems, plot 3D functions and data, draw vectors and surfaces, and customize the appearance of 3D objects. It also supports animations and can be used with other TikZ packages for enhanced functionality.

4. Is the TikZ-3dplot package pointer compatible with all LaTeX compilers?

Yes, the package is compatible with all major LaTeX compilers, including pdfTeX, XeTeX, and LuaTeX. However, some features may not be available depending on the compiler and its version.

5. Where can I find documentation and examples for using the TikZ-3dplot package pointer?

The package comes with a comprehensive user manual that includes detailed explanations of its features and usage. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as tutorials and forums, where users can find examples and ask for help with specific issues.