How can I simplify this limit to infinity problem?

In summary: It works here because the term in the root is in fact a square!In summary, the limit as x approaches infinity of the given expression is equal to 1. This is found by simplifying the expression and using the fact that the term inside the square root is a perfect square, allowing for cancellation of terms. However, it should be noted that this is not a general method for finding limits and should be used with caution.
tmt1
I have this problem

$$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2x + 1}{ \sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} + x}$$

How do I get from there to this step?

$$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2x}{ \sqrt{x^2 } + x}$$

From the last step I can calculate them limit as 1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have this problem

How do I get from there to this step?

$$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2x}{ \sqrt{x^2 } + x}$$

You CAN'T! These things are not equal!

First notice that since we are approaching infinity, x is clearly positive, so we can treat $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{x^2} = x \end{align*}$.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{2x + 1}{\sqrt{ x^2 + 2x + 1 } + x } &= \frac{\frac{2x+1}{x}}{\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} + x}{x}} \\ &= \frac{2 + \frac{1}{x}}{\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1}}{\sqrt{x^2}} + \frac{x}{x} } \\ &= \frac{ 2 + \frac{1}{x}}{ \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{2}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2}} + 1 } \end{align*}$

Now what happens as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \to \infty \end{align*}$?

Prove It said:
You CAN'T! These things are not equal!

First notice that since we are approaching infinity, x is clearly positive, so we can treat $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{x^2} = x \end{align*}$.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{2x + 1}{\sqrt{ x^2 + 2x + 1 } + x } &= \frac{\frac{2x+1}{x}}{\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} + x}{x}} \\ &= \frac{2 + \frac{1}{x}}{\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1}}{\sqrt{x^2}} + \frac{x}{x} } \\ &= \frac{ 2 + \frac{1}{x}}{ \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{2}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2}} + 1 } \end{align*}$

Now what happens as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \to \infty \end{align*}$?

I understand this problem even less than I thought I did so now I am a bit unprepared. Is it:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{\sqrt{1} + 1}\)

What Prove It is doing is showing you how you have to manipulate expressions in order to find limits. It looks weird at first but there is a reason to doing so.

For example look at this to start with: \(\displaystyle \frac{2x+1}{\sqrt{x^2+2x+1}+x}\)

Just for the heck of it, let's pull out an $x^2$ from the terms under the square-root.

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2+2x+1}=\sqrt{x^2 \left(1+\frac{2}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2} \right)}\)

Why do this you might ask? Well it comes down to something similar to the last thread you made. Those two fractions we now have are going to drop off to $0$ as $x \rightarrow \infty$, leaving us with just $\sqrt{x^2}$. This is a technique you are going to have to use when working with limits at infinity to try to cancel some things and simplify some terms.

Does that help some?

tmt said:
I have this problem

Good morning,

your problem gives me the opportunity to show off - thanks:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2x + 1}{ \sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} + x} = \lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2x + 1}{ \sqrt{(x+1)^2} + x} = \lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{2x + 1}{ x+1 + x} = \lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}( 1)\)

But be careful: This is not the general way to calculate limits!

Related to How can I simplify this limit to infinity problem?

What is the limit to infinity problem?

The limit to infinity problem is a concept in mathematics where a function or sequence approaches a certain value as the input approaches infinity. It is often used to analyze the behavior of a function as the input gets larger and larger.

How is the limit to infinity problem solved?

The limit to infinity problem can be solved using various methods, such as using the limit laws, L'Hopital's rule, or the squeeze theorem. These techniques help determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches infinity and find the limit value.

What is the significance of the limit to infinity problem?

The limit to infinity problem has many applications in science and engineering, such as in the study of population growth, rates of change, and the behavior of systems as time goes to infinity. It also helps in understanding the behavior of functions and sequences in mathematical analysis.

What are some common misconceptions about the limit to infinity problem?

One common misconception about the limit to infinity problem is that the limit is always equal to infinity. In reality, the limit can be any finite value, or it can also be undefined. Another misconception is that the limit only applies to functions with increasing or decreasing behavior, when in fact, it can be applied to any function.

How can the limit to infinity problem be visualized?

The limit to infinity problem can be visualized using a graph, where the function is plotted against the input values approaching infinity. The behavior of the function at that point can give insight into the limit value. Additionally, geometric interpretations, such as the area under a curve, can also be used to understand the limit to infinity problem.