How can I write the sum of a series in sigma notation and prove it by induction?

In summary, the conversation is about converting the sum of a series into sigma notation and proving it through induction. The correct formula for the sum of a series is (n^2 + n)/2. The conversation also mentions the incorrect formula of (n^2 + n + 1)/2.
Seda
[SOLVED] Sigma notation of a series.

I have the formula

1+2+3+...+n = (n^2+n+1)/2,

and I thinkthat this is the formula for the sum of a series. I need to write this thing in sigma notation, and then prove it by induction. I'm usually good and proving things by induction, but I can't even figure out how to get this thing into sigma notation!

I think by pluging in values that this series is 3/2 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + etc

This seems like it should be easy, but wow I have been stumped for awhile. Help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is how it works formally.

If you are given a list of numbers {a_1, a_2, a_3,..., a_n} and you consider their sum a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n, then we write this is sigma notation as

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n a_i[/tex]

This being said, can you answer your question now?

And your formula is incorrect by the way. Its [tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex].

Well, that's how the problem was listed in by homework...

hmm, I guess I'll answer it "false" then...

I guess if u want extra credit, show the original statement is false, eg if you let n=1, it states 1 = 3/2. Then give them the right expression and then prove that one =]

Related to How can I write the sum of a series in sigma notation and prove it by induction?

1. What is Sigma notation of a series?

Sigma notation, also known as summation notation, is a shorthand way of writing the sum of a series. It uses the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to represent the sum and has a variable below it that tells you the starting value of the series and the value at which it ends. The expression to the right of the sigma tells you what to do at each value of the variable.

2. How do you read Sigma notation?

Sigma notation is read as "the sum of" or "the sum over". For example, Σn from 1 to 5 is read as "the sum of n from 1 to 5".

3. What is the purpose of using Sigma notation?

Sigma notation is often used in mathematics and science to represent a series in a concise and efficient way. It also allows for easier manipulation and evaluation of series, making it a useful tool for solving problems and performing calculations.

4. How do you evaluate a series written in Sigma notation?

To evaluate a series written in Sigma notation, you substitute the values of the variable into the expression to the right of the sigma and then add up all the resulting terms. For example, Σn from 1 to 5 would be evaluated as 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15.

5. What are the limits of a series in Sigma notation?

The limits of a series in Sigma notation tell you the starting and ending values of the series. The lower limit is the value at which the series begins, and the upper limit is the value at which it ends. For example, Σn from 1 to 5 has a lower limit of 1 and an upper limit of 5.