How Can Visual Learners Master PDEs and Fourier Transforms?

• Thread starter Illuminerdi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basics Pde
In summary, the individual is an electrical engineering student with a desire to learn how to solve PDEs and Fourier series/transforms. They have learning disabilities and have found success in visual learning. They prefer videos and learning directly from people rather than textbooks. They are seeking alternative sources to learn from and are interested in sources such as the MIT lectures on electromagnetism and the book "Visual Complex Analysis" by Needham. They struggle with reading math and are looking for someone to show them how to understand it. They are open to receiving help and are interested in learning about different types of PDEs and solving methods.
Illuminerdi
Hi, I'm an undergrad in EE who wants to learn the basics of solving PDEs (and Fourier series/transforms), but who has some learning disabilities (developmental, most notably).

Before I get criticism for what I'm about to say (which will be asking for an alternative to the obligatory "read this textbook" response), I'll give some background:

In high school, I was a mediocre math student. After being out of school for a considerable length of time, I had some strange neurological experience that wouldn't make sense to many I were to describe it to (a seizure, perhaps? hallucination without substances?) and decided I wanted to focus on mathematics, again. I watched all of the calc series on single and multivariable calculus from MIT's playlist and resumed school as an engineering student, having received straight As since. However, the real strategy to how I learned differently was visualization. I never relied on textbooks, never did anything merely procedurally without questioning, and could not rely on anything that did not make physical sense, nor could I do well on any concept (equations, formulas, etc.) unless I could understand it enough to derive it on my own.

That said, I consider myself to be all but functionally illiterate. I consider textbooks useless if they don't show you entirely how to do every sort of problem that could show up. I prefer videos, learning directly from people, and building intuition.

So, are there any sources appropriate given what I described?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you're an electrical engineering student, you ought to watch the MIT lectures on electromagnetism by Walter Lewin on you tube.

In fact there are a lot of good things on your tube for learning, but for real learning, you need to do problems...

You might like the book,visual complex analysis by Needham.

Illuminerdi said:
Hi, I'm an undergrad in EE who wants to learn the basics of solving PDEs (and Fourier series/transforms), but who has some learning disabilities (developmental, most notably).

Before I get criticism for what I'm about to say (which will be asking for an alternative to the obligatory "read this textbook" response), I'll give some background:

In high school, I was a mediocre math student. After being out of school for a considerable length of time, I had some strange neurological experience that wouldn't make sense to many I were to describe it to (a seizure, perhaps? hallucination without substances?) and decided I wanted to focus on mathematics, again. I watched all of the calc series on single and multivariable calculus from MIT's playlist and resumed school as an engineering student, having received straight As since. However, the real strategy to how I learned differently was visualization. I never relied on textbooks, never did anything merely procedurally without questioning, and could not rely on anything that did not make physical sense, nor could I do well on any concept (equations, formulas, etc.) unless I could understand it enough to derive it on my own.

That said, I consider myself to be all but functionally illiterate. I consider textbooks useless if they don't show you entirely how to do every sort of problem that could show up. I prefer videos, learning directly from people, and building intuition.

So, are there any sources appropriate given what I described?

You don't need to be a math prodigy to be a math lover and looker. Spend some time on the forums, read up and learn. If so ask questions. Trying and playing is better than just researching.

yus310 said:
You don't need to be a math prodigy to be a math lover and looker. Spend some time on the forums, read up and learn. If so ask questions. Trying and playing is better than just researching.

The whole point, though, is that my skills at reading math are significantly lower than my skills at doing/understanding math. I said, I'm all but functionally illiterate. It's hard—words and text appears so jumbled up and daunting to me. I need to be SHOWN. Reading, unless it's a very clear step by step study guide type of thing, is really challenging for me.

Illuminerdi said:
The whole point, though, is that my skills at reading math are significantly lower than my skills at doing/understanding math. I said, I'm all but functionally illiterate. It's hard—words and text appears so jumbled up and daunting to me. I need to be SHOWN. Reading, unless it's a very clear step by step study guide type of thing, is really challenging for me.

HOw cna I help you better understand math? I am eng. but I have to math background in my research? How can I help? Give me clues?

yus310

yus310 said:
HOw cna I help you better understand math? I am eng. but I have to math background in my research? How can I help? Give me clues?

yus310

Well, Sal Khan (khanacademy) could teach calculus to a chimp.
I still learn plenty from the MIT videos on youtube.
PDEs, though—hard to find videos on those.

I apologize but openly and honestly your attitude stinks.

I am offering help, and you are basically telling me nothing is online. Well that leaves both nowhere right?

You want to do math, engineering, whatever, try to change your attitude.

Lets start again now. Ok?

Well, how can I assist your learning of partial differential equations?What types are you interested in hyperbolic? Parabolic?

What type of solving methods do you want to learn, numerical? characterstic paths?

yus310

Related to How Can Visual Learners Master PDEs and Fourier Transforms?

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or Partial Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. These equations are used to model complex physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

What are the basic types of PDEs?

There are three main types of PDEs: elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic. Elliptic PDEs describe steady-state phenomena, parabolic PDEs describe diffusion or heat transfer, and hyperbolic PDEs describe wave-like phenomena.

What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation (ODE) and a PDE?

The main difference between an ODE and a PDE is that an ODE involves only one independent variable, while a PDE involves multiple independent variables. This makes PDEs more complex and difficult to solve, as they require techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, or numerical methods.

What are the boundary conditions for PDEs?

Boundary conditions are additional information that is needed to uniquely determine a solution to a PDE. They specify the values of the dependent variable or its derivatives at the boundaries of the domain. There are different types of boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin conditions, depending on the physical problem being modeled.

What are some practical applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, finance, and biology. They are commonly used to model heat and mass transfer, fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and quantum systems. They are also used for image and signal processing, option pricing, and population dynamics.