How can we find a generator of the multiplicative group of a finite field?

= (b^6)^2 = (b^2+1)^2 = b^4 + 2b^2 + 1 = (2b^2 - 2b + 1) + 2b^2 + 1 = b^2 - 2b + 2$$ and finally $$b^{13} = bb^{12} = b(b^2 - 2b + 2) = b^3 - 2b^2 + 2b = (-b^2+b-1) - 2b^2 + 2b = -1.$$
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to construct the field $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}$ and find a generator of $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$.

I thought to consider a $t \in \mathbb{F}_3[x]$ where $t$ is irreducible and $\deg t=3$.

So we consider $t=x^3+x^2-x+1$.

Let $b$ be a root of $t$. Then $b^3+b^2-b+1=0 \Rightarrow b^3=-b^2+b-1$.

So $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}=\{ 0,1,2,b, 2b, 2b+1, 2b+2, b^2, b^2+1, b^2+2, 2b^2, 2b^2+1, 2b^2+2\}$.

Is it right so far?
If so, how can we find a generator of $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to construct the field $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}$ and find a generator of $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$.

I thought to consider a $t \in \mathbb{F}_3[x]$ where $t$ is irreducible and $\deg t=3$.

So we consider $t=x^3+x^2-x+1$.

Let $b$ be a root of $t$. Then $b^3+b^2-b+1=0 \Rightarrow b^3=-b^2+b-1$.
Very good, up to here!
evinda said:
So $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}=\{ 0,1,2,b, 2b, 2b+1, 2b+2, b^2, b^2+1, b^2+2, 2b^2, 2b^2+1, 2b^2+2\}$.

Is it right so far?
That can't be right! The field $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}$ should have $3^3=27$ elements, but you have only listed $13$. In fact, $\mathbb{F}_{3^3} = \{xb^2 + yb + c: x,y,z\in \mathbb{F}_3\}$.
evinda said:
If so, how can we find a generator of $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$?
I expect some algebra expert will come up with a systematic way to do this. My method was simply to guess that $b$ is a generator of $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$. The order of $b$ in $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$ must divide the order of the group, which is $26$. So it must be $2$, $13$ or $26$.

Clearly $b^2\ne1$, so the order of $b$ is not $2$. You can calculate $b^{13}$ in various ways, repeatedly using the fact that $b^3=-b^2+b-1$. It turns out that $b^{13} = -1$. Thus the order of $b$ is not $13$ and must therefore be $26$. In other words, $b$ is a generator.

Opalg said:
That can't be right! The field $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}$ should have $3^3=27$ elements, but you have only listed $13$. In fact, $\mathbb{F}_{3^3} = \{xb^2 + yb + c: x,y,z\in \mathbb{F}_3\}$.

You meant $\mathbb{F}_{3^3} = \{xb^2 + yb + z: x,y,z\in \mathbb{F}_3\}$, right?

How do we know that the set $ \{xb^2 + yb + z: x,y,z\in \mathbb{F}_3\}$ contains $27$ elements?
I thought that there are $3$ possible values for $x$, two for $a^2$, $3$ for $x$, $3$ for $a$ and $3$ for $z$, so in total $3 \cdot 2+ 3 \cdot 3+3=18$. Am I wrong? (Sweating)
Opalg said:
I expect some algebra expert will come up with a systematic way to do this. My method was simply to guess that $b$ is a generator of $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$. The order of $b$ in $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\star}$ must divide the order of the group, which is $26$. So it must be $2$, $13$ or $26$.

Clearly $b^2\ne1$, so the order of $b$ is not $2$. You can calculate $b^{13}$ in various ways, repeatedly using the fact that $b^3=-b^2+b-1$. It turns out that $b^{13} = -1$. Thus the order of $b$ is not $13$ and must therefore be $26$. In other words, $b$ is a generator.

So does this mean that any element in this field ,the order of which will be $26$, will be a generator of the field?

Last edited:
evinda said:
You meant $\mathbb{F}_{3^3} = \{xb^2 + yb + z: x,y,z\in \mathbb{F}_3\}$, right?
Yes, sorry about the typo.

How do we know that the set $ \{xb^2 + yb + z: x,y,z\in \mathbb{F}_3\}$ contains $27$ elements?
The field $\color{green}{\mathbb{F}_{p^k}}$ always contains $\color{green}p^k$ elements.

I thought that there are $3$ possible values for $x$, two for $a^2$, $3$ for $x$, $3$ for $a$ and $3$ for $z$, so in total $3 \cdot 2+ 3 \cdot 3+3=18$. Am I wrong? (Sweating)
There are three choices for each of $\color{green}x,y,z$ in the expression $\color{green}xb^2 + yb + z$, making 27 elements altogether.

So does this mean that any element in this field, the order of which will be $26$, will be a generator of the field?
Yes.
. . .

Opalg said:
Very good, up to here!

It turns out that "guess and check" is still the best way, finding generators of finite cyclic groups is known to be "computationally hard".

Opalg said:
You can calculate $b^{13}$ in various ways, repeatedly using the fact that $b^3=-b^2+b-1$. It turns out that $b^{13} = -1$. Thus the order of $b$ is not $13$ and must therefore be $26$. In other words, $b$ is a generator.
How can we calculate $b^{13}$ ?

I tried the following:
$b^{13}=b^3 b^3 b^3 b^3 b=(-b^2+b-1)^4 a=(a^4-2a^3+3a^2-2a+1)(a^4-2a^3+3a^2-2a+1) a$

But I think that this doesn't help. Or does it? (Thinking)

evinda said:
How can we calculate $b^{13}$ ?
Here's what I did, starting from $b^3 = -b^2+b-1$. Multiply that by $b$ to get $$b^4 = - b^3 + b^2 - b = -(-b^2+b-1) + b^2 - b = 2b^2 - 2b + 1.$$ Next, $$b^6 = b^2b^4 = b^2(2b^2 - 2b + 1) = 2b^4 - 2b^3 + b^2 = 2(2b^2 - 2b + 1) -2(-b^2+b-1) + b^2 = b^2+1.$$ Then $$b^{12} = (b^6)^2 = (b^2+1)^2 = b^4 + 2b^2 + 1 = (2b^2 - 2b + 1) + 2b^2 + 1 = b^2 - 2b + 2$$ and finally $$b^{13} = bb^{12} = b(b^2 - 2b + 2) = b^3 - 2b^2 + 2b = (-b^2+b-1) - 2b^2 + 2b = -1.$$

Opalg said:
Here's what I did, starting from $b^3 = -b^2+b-1$. Multiply that by $b$ to get $$b^4 = - b^3 + b^2 - b = -(-b^2+b-1) + b^2 - b = 2b^2 - 2b + 1.$$ Next, $$b^6 = b^2b^4 = b^2(2b^2 - 2b + 1) = 2b^4 - 2b^3 + b^2 = 2(2b^2 - 2b + 1) -2(-b^2+b-1) + b^2 = b^2+1.$$ Then $$b^{12} = (b^6)^2 = (b^2+1)^2 = b^4 + 2b^2 + 1 = (2b^2 - 2b + 1) + 2b^2 + 1 = b^2 - 2b + 2$$ and finally $$b^{13} = bb^{12} = b(b^2 - 2b + 2) = b^3 - 2b^2 + 2b = (-b^2+b-1) - 2b^2 + 2b = -1.$$

Ah, I see... So since we guess that $b$ is a generator of the field and we verify that $b^{26}=1$ we know that there is no $n < 26$ such that $b^n=1$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ah, I see... So since we guess that $b$ is a generator of the field and we verify that $b^{26}=1$ we know that there is no $n < 26$ such that $b^n=1$ ? (Thinking)

With a cyclic group, we do not have to check *every* power less than the order, only DIVISIORS of said order.

In fact, it suffices to check MAXIMAL DIVISORS, that is, if our order is $n$, then $d$ such that $n/d$ is prime.

Since $26$ is of the form $pq$ for the primes $p = 2$ and $q = 13$, these are the maximal divisors, and are the only two powers we need to verify are not the identity.

Deveno said:
With a cyclic group, we do not have to check *every* power less than the order, only DIVISIORS of said order.

In fact, it suffices to check MAXIMAL DIVISORS, that is, if our order is $n$, then $d$ such that $n/d$ is prime.

Since $26$ is of the form $pq$ for the primes $p = 2$ and $q = 13$, these are the maximal divisors, and are the only two powers we need to verify are not the identity.

Don't we also have to check if $b^1=1$ ?

How do we know that $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\ast}$ is a cyclic group?

evinda said:
Don't we also have to check if $b^1=1$ ?

How do we know that $\mathbb{F}_{3^3}^{\ast}$ is a cyclic group?

Those are insightful questions.

The first I can answer easily:

If $b = 1$, then $1$ would be a root of $x^3+x^2−x+1$, but we see:

$1^3 + 1^2 - 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 = 2 \neq 0 \in \Bbb Z_3$.

The second I don't have room to fully answer in a post, but it is a theorem that the multiplicative group of every finite field is cyclic. A proof of this can be found here:

http://www.math.wm.edu/~vinroot/430S13MultFiniteField.pdf

The basic idea is that the multiplicative group of a finite field is a finite abelian group, and such groups have special properties.

Other proofs often invoke the Structure Theorem for finite abelian groups. This says that any finite abelian group can be written as a direct product of cyclic groups.

Another proof (based on a counting argument) is here:

abstract algebra - Finite subgroups of the multiplicative group of a field are cyclic - Mathematics Stack Exchange

I urge you to study this well, this fact is central to important parts of number theory, as well as the particular application here.

Deveno said:
Those are insightful questions.

The first I can answer easily:

If $b = 1$, then $1$ would be a root of $x^3+x^2−x+1$, but we see:

$1^3 + 1^2 - 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 = 2 \neq 0 \in \Bbb Z_3$.

I see... (Nod)

Deveno said:
The second I don't have room to fully answer in a post, but it is a theorem that the multiplicative group of every finite field is cyclic. A proof of this can be found here:

http://www.math.wm.edu/~vinroot/430S13MultFiniteField.pdf

The basic idea is that the multiplicative group of a finite field is a finite abelian group, and such groups have special properties.

Other proofs often invoke the Structure Theorem for finite abelian groups. This says that any finite abelian group can be written as a direct product of cyclic groups.

Another proof (based on a counting argument) is here:

abstract algebra - Finite subgroups of the multiplicative group of a field are cyclic - Mathematics Stack Exchange

I urge you to study this well, this fact is central to important parts of number theory, as well as the particular application here.

Ok, I will read the proofs. So if we have a cyclic group, any element of the group will have an order that divides the order of the group, right?
If we have a group that is not cyclic, could an element of the group have an order that doesn't divide the order of the group? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I see... (Nod)
Ok, I will read the proofs. So if we have a cyclic group, any element of the group will have an order that divides the order of the group, right?
If we have a group that is not cyclic, could an element of the group have an order that doesn't divide the order of the group? (Thinking)
No. This result is a basic one, and is an immediate corollary to Lagrange's Theorem.

Deveno said:

So this would hold for any finite group? (Thinking)

Yes, and no.

If a given element is not the identity for maximal divisors of the order, it must have order equal to the order of the group-that is, it is a generator for the group, which is therefore cyclic.

However, this test could fail, we could try a maximal divisor, say $d$, and find $x^d = e$. This does not tell us the group is cyclic, or even what order $x$ has, it just tells us that $x$ is NOT a generator, and that the order of $x$ is a divisor of $d$.

So, for example, in $S_4$ (the symmetric group on four letters), we have $|S_4| = 24$, and the maximal divisors are $12$ and $8$.

It turns out that no element has order $12$, in fact, no element even has order $6$. And no element has order $8$, either. In fact the only orders are, per cycle type:

$(a\ b\ c\ d)$ which has order $4$
$(a\ b\ c)$ which has order $3$
$(a\ b)(c\ d)$ which has order $2$
$(a\ b)$ which has order $2$
$\text{id}$ which has order $1$.

To make a long story short, testing maximal divisors of the order of the group is of most use when a group is cyclic (and not every group is).

However, when the order of a group is $pq$, for $p,q$ distinct primes, we can be assured that our group is indeed cyclic (to prove this I'd need to prove Cauchy's theorem, which I don't feel like doing at the moment, or even on a higher level, the Sylow theorems, which again I do not feel like going into-it would be a *really* long post).

The abelian case is easier, one can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem to show an abelian group of order $pq$ is cyclic rather easily, but even this intermediate step is not a *short* proof.

So...yes, you can use this method on ANY finite group...BUT: it may not tell you very much (some groups are "bad"-they are VERY non-abelian (a small center) with many elements of low order, and few or no elements of the higher orders).

Related to How can we find a generator of the multiplicative group of a finite field?

1. What is the purpose of construction of field?

The purpose of construction of field is to create a designated area for conducting scientific experiments or studies related to a specific field of study. This allows for controlled conditions and accurate data collection.

2. What are the key components of a field construction?

The key components of a field construction may vary depending on the specific field of study, but generally include the physical layout of the area, equipment and materials needed for experiments, and any necessary safety measures.

3. How is a field constructed?

A field is typically constructed by first selecting a suitable location and clearing the area of any existing vegetation or debris. The layout of the field is then marked and any necessary equipment and materials are brought in. Safety measures, such as fencing or warning signs, may also be installed.

4. What are the benefits of constructing a field for scientific research?

The benefits of constructing a field for scientific research include the ability to control variables, replicate experiments, and collect accurate and reliable data. It also allows for long-term studies and the exploration of complex systems in their natural environment.

5. How is the construction of a field maintained and monitored?

The construction of a field is typically maintained and monitored by a team of scientists or researchers who are responsible for conducting experiments and collecting data. Regular maintenance may include maintaining equipment, monitoring environmental conditions, and making adjustments as needed for the success of the research.