How can we recognize standard integrals here

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the integral $\int \sqrt{x^2-4}$ and concludes that using a substitution, such as $x=2\cosh(t)$ or $x=2\sec(t)$, is the most efficient approach. It also mentions the importance of including the constant of integration when solving indefinite integrals.
Dethrone
Also, how would you do $\int \sqrt{x^2-4}$?

$$d(x^2-4)^{3/2}=3x\sqrt{x^2-4} \,dx$$
$$\int \frac{\sqrt{x^2-4}}{3x}d(x^2-4)^{3/2}$$

Not sure how partial integration will be useful here. What standard integrals do you see?

Physics news on Phys.org
Their steps are way too convoluted. I'm used to doing trig substitution, but ILS just granted me power...I feel it..(Cool)

I got it!

For $x\ge 2$:
$$\int\sqrt{x^2-4} \,dx=\int \frac{x^2-4}{\sqrt{x^2-4}}dx=\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2-4}}-\frac{4}{\sqrt{x^2-4}}dx=\int x \,d(\sqrt{x^2-4)}-4 \arcosh(x/2)$$

For $x\le 2$:
$$=\int x \,d(\sqrt{x^2-4)}+4 \arcosh(-x/2)$$ $$

Last edited:
Rido12 said:

Not sure how partial integration will be useful here. What standard integrals do you see?

Indeed. That partial integration isn't going in the right direction. (Doh)
Rido12 said:
Their steps are way too convoluted. I'm used to doing trig substitution, but ILS just granted me power...I feel it..(Cool)

Impressive Luke. I recognize the power in you. (Bigsmile)
$$=\int x \,d(\sqrt{x^2-4)}+4 \arcosh(x/2)$$

Yes... but what is \(\displaystyle \int x \,d(\sqrt{x^2-4})\)? (Wondering)

We use integration by parts, or "partial differentiation" (Cool)
$$\displaystyle \int x \,d(\sqrt{x^2-4})$$
$$=\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2-4}}-\int \sqrt{x^2-4}$$

Shoot, we are back to the original problem. I'm lagging, but I'll explain what I would do if I wasn't lagging. I would add $\int \sqrt{x^2-4}$ to both sides, and if we call the original integral "$I$", then the resulting integral would be "$2I$", so we can divide everything by two and arrive at our answer :D
Would you suggest a different method? (Wondering) Let us assume that I have added "$+C" to everything okay (Tmi)?

Rido12 said:
We use integration by parts, or "partial differentiation" (Cool)
$$\displaystyle \int x \,d(\sqrt{x^2-4})$$
$$=\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2-4}}-\int \sqrt{x^2-4}$$

Shoot, we are back to the original problem. I'm lagging, but I'll explain what I would do if I wasn't lagging. I would add $\int \sqrt{x^2-4}$ to both sides, and if we call the original integral "$I$", then the resulting integral would be "$2I$", so we can divide everything by two and arrive at our answer :D

Perfect! ;)
Would you suggest a different method? (Wondering)

Not really.
But alternatively we can do a $\cosh$ substitution, since we're looking at a hyperbolic pattern.
Let us assume that I have added "$+C" to everything okay (Tmi)?

But why? (Wondering)
You have an indefinite integral everywhere that effectively contains an invisible $+C$. (Wink)

Rido12 said:

This method is not going to work. Your options are either to substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 2\cosh{(t)} \implies \mathrm{d}x = 2\sinh{(t)} \, \mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$ or to substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 2\sec{(t)} \implies \mathrm{d}x = 2\sec{(t)}\tan{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$.

Thanks Prove It!

This question was pulled out from my other thread, in which I was not satisfied that the substitution $x=2\cosh(t)$ only yields for $x>2$, whereas the secant substitution yields for $x>2$ and $x<-2$. Turns out that I had to use the substitution $x=-2\cosh(t)$ so that it would work for $x<-2$. Not sure whether people would consider the answer defined only for $x>2$ to be "complete", or if I had to get it for the negative portion, too.

Related to How can we recognize standard integrals here

1. How do we identify standard integrals?

Standard integrals are defined as integrals that can be solved using well-known integration rules without the need for additional techniques or substitutions. They often involve basic functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions.

2. What are some common examples of standard integrals?

Some common examples of standard integrals include the integral of a polynomial, the integral of a sine or cosine function, and the integral of an exponential function. These integrals can be easily solved using integration rules such as the power rule, trigonometric identities, and the rule for integrating exponential functions.

3. How can we recognize if an integral is not a standard integral?

If an integral cannot be solved using well-known integration rules, it is likely not a standard integral. This can happen when the integrand involves more complex functions, such as logarithmic or inverse trigonometric functions, or when the integrand is not continuous over the interval of integration.

4. Are there any strategies for solving non-standard integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for solving non-standard integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques can be used to simplify the integrand and transform it into a standard integral that can be easily solved.

5. Is it important to be able to recognize standard integrals?

Yes, being able to recognize standard integrals is important as it allows for quicker and more efficient integration. It also provides a foundation for understanding more advanced integration techniques. However, with the help of technology and integration tables, it is not always necessary to recognize standard integrals in order to solve them.