How can you easily start panel nails when nailing panels onto a ceiling?

• Construction
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, there is a tool that makes it easy to drive panel nails manually when nailing panels onto a ceiling, but it is not easy to use and might not work well.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Is there a tool that makes it easy to drive panel nails manually when nailing panel onto a ceiling?
Is there a tool that makes it easy to drive panel nails manually when nailing panels onto a ceiling?

"Panel nails" (e.g. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-16-1-2-x-1-in-White-Steel-Panel-Board-Nails-6-oz-Pack-1PBWH/202308581 ) have round heads and are driven by hand rather than with a brad driver. It's hard to get them started when standing on a ladder and nailing into a ceiling.

One can find pliers-like nail holders or use actual pliers to hold a panel nail when starting it, but this is awkward when working overhead. A better overhead nail starter would be a tube that held the nail. One could start the nail by hitting the other end of the tube. I find a patent for such a device at https://patents.google.com/patent/US4437602A/en but don't find any manufacturer of it. I suppose I could make such a tool by drilling a hole in a metal bar. However, it would be nice to find a commercial version.

A fancy idea is to put such a nail starter on the end of a lightweight slide hammer. A patent for that is https://patents.google.com/patent/US4437602A/en I haven't found any such tool for sale.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with an appropriate sized and shaped pliers with a rubber band to hold the jaws shut? No matter how fancy the holder/guide gets if it is still awkward to drive the nail into the ceiling, it tells me you just need practice.

If you are doing anything extensive I would look at a pneumatic tool of some kind...either a palm nailer for ringshank nails or a small nailgun. I don't know what is recommended for overhead. fasteners.
Once you get the pressure set right those guns are wonderful and give you the countersink perfect every time. .

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman
Averagesupernova said:
What's wrong with an appropriate sized and shaped pliers with a rubber band to hold the jaws shut?

Pliers with sharply angled jaws might work. In my tests, pliers with thin jaws don't work well and I haven't seen a lightweight pair of pliers with thick jaws that are sharply angled.

hutchphd said:
If you are doing anything extensive I would look at a pneumatic tool of some kind...either a palm nailer for ringshank nails or a small nailgun. I don't know what is recommended for overhead. fasteners.
Once you get the pressure set right those guns are wonderful and give you the countersink perfect every time. .

Is there a palm nailer that is designed for tiny nails?

I have a similar tool - a Craftsman electric "Autohammer". It works to drive nails but the nail has so much freedom of movement inside the bore of the tool, that driving a nail straight is by no means automatic.

I have pneumatic brad drivers and nail guns. I'd trust the heads of the nails they use to hold panelling on walls, but on a ceiling, I want the nice round head of a panel nail. And I don't want to countersink the panel nails.

That item looks like it comes apart where the body changes color. If so, take it apart, remove the punch and grind it shorter, reassemble. Of course this assumes the tip bore is compatible with your nails.

If needed, while it's apart you can grind the punch diameter and add some shim stock to the bore.

Also while it is apart, magnetize the punch so it holds onto the nails.

An Automatic Center Punch may give you some ideas about modifying existing stuff. The replaceable tip threads into a threaded hole in the shaft, supplying a nice recess to center the round-head nails. Attach a tube (epoxy, silver solder) around the shaft to guide the nail.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Adjustable-Heavy-Duty-Automatic-Center-Punch-with-Replaceable-Steel-Point-78/301345941

Or maybe you can combine the two devices!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Lnewqban
I don't know of any tiny palm naildrivers but if there is a small one I'll bet it is pneumatic.
Would I be a heretic to suggest an adhesive in conjunction with some pneumatic fasteners? I have recently been converted to "dark side" of construction adhesives..

hutchphd said:
Would I be a heretic to suggest an adhesive in conjunction with some pneumatic fasteners? I have recently been converted to "dark side" of construction adhesives..
For our first experiment in putting paneling up on a ceiling, I didn't want to make taking it off to correct errors impossible.

We were able to drive panel nails overhead by pre-drilling a tiny diameter hole with a rotary tool and then driving the panel nail into it.

I plan to investigate brad pushers. They aren't designed to be hit with hammer, but perhaps if I break the handle by doing that, I can replace it with a sturdier type of handle.

Have you tried the old fashioned DIY method of pushing the nails through a piece of cardboard? Personally I'd never use a nail (on its own) to fix anything overhead, is that the recommended method? Why can't you use a nail gun?

Likes Tom.G
pbuk said:
Have you tried the old fashioned DIY method of pushing the nails through a piece of cardboard? Personally I'd never use a nail (on its own) to fix anything overhead, is that the recommended method? Why can't you use a nail gun?
I was going to say this, but to add a little value, you could get a piece of medium density foam and push some through it while on the floor, then take it up. Depending on the size of the foam, you could get a good amount of nails in it, and the density should keep the foam capable of holding more after instead of ripping.

ericlawson2001 said:
I was going to say this, but to add a little value, you could get a piece of medium density foam and push some through it while on the floor, then take it up. Depending on the size of the foam, you could get a good amount of nails in it, and the density should keep the foam capable of holding more after instead of ripping.

When manually nailing overhead, the main problem isn't holding the nail in place. The main problem is striking the nail so it's driven straight. For example, if you need to drive a nail into the floor, it would be incovenient to stand astraddle of the nail, bend at the waist and reach down between your legs to hammer it. A more natural posture is kneel on the floor and have the nail a foot or so in front of your knee while you hammer it. Nailing into the ceiling while standing on a ladder is more like the former posture than the latter.

Related to How can you easily start panel nails when nailing panels onto a ceiling?

1. What is a nail guide for panel nails?

A nail guide for panel nails is a tool used to help accurately and evenly place nails in a panel, such as a wooden board or sheet of drywall. It typically consists of a guide with evenly spaced holes where the nails can be inserted.

2. How do I use a nail guide for panel nails?

To use a nail guide for panel nails, first place the guide on the panel where you want to insert the nails. Then, insert the nails into the guide's holes, making sure they are evenly spaced. Finally, remove the guide and hammer the nails into the panel.

3. What are the benefits of using a nail guide for panel nails?

Using a nail guide for panel nails can help save time and ensure accuracy when placing nails in a panel. It can also help prevent the nails from splitting the wood or causing damage to the panel.

4. Are there different types of nail guides for panel nails?

Yes, there are different types of nail guides for panel nails. Some are made for specific types of panels, such as drywall or wood, while others are more versatile and can be used for various types of panels. Some may also have different spacing options for the nails.

5. Where can I purchase a nail guide for panel nails?

Nail guides for panel nails can be purchased at most hardware stores or online. They may also be included in a set of tools or kits for specific projects, such as installing drywall or building furniture.

Back