How Can You Simplify Logarithmic Expressions Using the Change of Base Formula?

In summary, the conversation is about using the change of base formula to solve logarithmic expressions. The first question is asking for the expression log16 17 in terms of r, s, and/or t. The second question involves using the change of base formula and the hint given to solve the expression log16 17(6^(log36 4). The conversation also includes a link to a website explaining the change of base formula and a request for help understanding an incorrect answer.
coolkid800
this is what I'm having trouble with:

Let r = log6 17, s = log4 17, t = log6 4.

Write the following expressions in terms of r, s, and/or t. The change of base formula may be helpful in finding some of these logarithms.

log16 17 =

http://www.webassign.net/www31/symImages/6/a/1835a244d7715d29ef2d1f41e45aff.gif

log16 17(6^(log36 4) =

http://www.webassign.net/www31/symImages/d/4/9b6ebc66e4a9ccb204874138ac34c3.gif

Plz help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've been given a hint. What are the "change of base" formulae?

lol I don't know, I tried looking in my textbook and I couldn't find anything!

i don't understand how i got the first one wrong, isn't it supposed to be r/2t

Change [tex]log_{16}17[/tex] to base 4.

okay the first one that i asked u guys, the answer is s/2

apparently i thought i got the last one right, but it was wrong, i put s(6^t/2)

but it was s+.5, anybody kno why?!?

Have you looked at the change of base formula provided in the link above? For the first question, follow the hint by Feldoh, and use the change of base formula; so, [tex]\log_{16} 17=\frac{\log_4 17}{\log_4 16}[/tex]. Can you continue?

Incidentally, you should post in the homework forums in future.

Related to How Can You Simplify Logarithmic Expressions Using the Change of Base Formula?

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that contains a logarithm, which is a mathematical function that helps us solve for an unknown value by manipulating the exponents of a number.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms and algebraic techniques such as isolating the logarithm, using the inverse property, and expanding or condensing logarithms. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of exponential equations.

3. What is the difference between a logarithmic equation and an exponential equation?

A logarithmic equation is the inverse of an exponential equation. In an exponential equation, the unknown value is in the exponent, while in a logarithmic equation, the unknown value is the argument of the logarithm.

4. When do we use logarithmic equations?

Logarithmic equations are often used in real-life applications such as calculating earthquake magnitudes, measuring sound intensity, and determining the pH level of a solution. They are also used in many fields of science, including chemistry, biology, and physics.

5. Why do logarithmic equations sometimes seem confusing?

Logarithmic equations can be confusing because they involve manipulating numbers in a different way than we are used to. It takes time and practice to become comfortable with logarithmic equations and their properties, but once you understand them, they can be a powerful tool for solving complex problems in science and mathematics.