How Do Baryons Emerge in the Standard Model Through Topological Effects?

In summary, baryons enter the standard model through a subtle topological effect. Skyrmions are topological configurations that arise when the global symmetry group G breaks down.
Jim Kata
I'm lazy so I'm going to start bringing my questions here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that baryons only enter the standard model through this subtle topological effect. Now this is where I'm at. I kind of got the Goldstone boson concept, maybe someone could better explain that to me too. Anyways, say you have scalar fields. Now, these scalar fields have a vacuum expectation value. To my understanding this is where the pion and pion's mass comes from? Now due to some topological effect "skyrmions" baryons also enter.
Let me paraphrase a line in Weinberg vol II I don't get "the fields may furnish a reducible rather than irreducible representation of G (some group before its symmetry is broken) as for instance became the case when we introduced the nucleon fields in the previous section.

So to me this means that baryons in some sense come from from the fact that the fields furnish a reducible rather than irreducible representation of group G.

Where G for example could be SO(4), Spin(4) or whatever is isomorphic to SU(3)XSU(3)

Could someone flesh these ideas out for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
When a global symmetry breaks, you expect some scalar particles to be massless (which may or may not be composites of fundamental fields). When an approximate global symmetry breaks you get light scalar particles (pseudo-Goldstones). When the symmetry group breaks from G to K, the massless or light bosons form a representation of the coset space G/K (elements of G that aren't elements of K). This represents the statement: "There is a (pseudo)Goldstone boson for each broken symmetry". You can look for topologically non-trivial field configurations by looking at fields as being a mapping from the space they inhabit to a representation space of some group. For example, you can look at the bosons forming a rep of G/K, and find topologically non-trivial configurations called skyrmions as described by Weinberg in Vol 2. In the physical case you mentioned, if you consider chiral symmetry to be an (approximate or exact) symmetry that's broken, the resulting (light or massless) bosons can be called "nucleons". Pions are vector bosons that mediate interaction of the "nucleons". This model is an effective field theory, and the particular framework is a type of "sigma model". We know that, in a technical sense, quarks and gluons compose nucleons and pions, though this view becomes very complicated and subtle at lower energies where the nucleons and pions are formed. For that reason people sometimes turn to effective sigma models, but their representation of the physical situation is approximate.
The statement about reducible vs irreducible representations is not directly relevant. Usually we label particle states with irreducible representations of groups (that commute with the Hamiltonian, so that they are "good" quantum numbers). But we're allowed, and it may be convenient, to talk about a field that happens to form a reducible representation with respect to some symmetry group. That's all Weinberg is pointing out.

javierR said:
When a global symmetry breaks, you expect some scalar particles to be massless (which may or may not be composites of fundamental fields). When an approximate global symmetry breaks you get light scalar particles (pseudo-Goldstones).

I take it you actually mean "pseudoscalar" particles... i.e. the pion.

javierR said:
When the symmetry group breaks from G to K, the massless or light bosons form a representation of the coset space G/K (elements of G that aren't elements of K). This represents the statement: "There is a (pseudo)Goldstone boson for each broken symmetry". You can look for topologically non-trivial field configurations by looking at fields as being a mapping from the space they inhabit to a representation space of some group. For example, you can look at the bosons forming a rep of G/K, and find topologically non-trivial configurations called skyrmions as described by Weinberg in Vol 2. In the physical case you mentioned, if you consider chiral symmetry to be an (approximate or exact) symmetry that's broken, the resulting (light or massless) bosons can be called "nucleons".

You mean "fermions" instead of "bosons" in this last sentence.

javierR said:
Pions are vector bosons that mediate interaction of the "nucleons".

Pions are pseudoscalar bosons, I would pick the rho meson for the primary vector boson field in the inter-nucleon potential. Just remember that other more massive I=1 and I=0 spin-0 and spin-1 particles can participate, just suppressed by their higher masses.

I kind of get what your saying, but let me phrase my question as simply as possible. How do baryons enter the standard model

Related to How Do Baryons Emerge in the Standard Model Through Topological Effects?

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept that assigns a scalar value, such as temperature or pressure, to every point in space. It is used to describe physical phenomena that vary continuously in space.

2. What is the significance of scalar fields in physics?

Scalar fields are important in physics because they can help explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are used in various theories, such as the theory of general relativity, to describe the effects of gravity on space and time.

3. What are skyrmions?

Skyrmions are topological objects that can form in certain materials, such as ferromagnets. They are characterized by a spin texture that is stable and can be manipulated with external magnetic fields. They have potential applications in information storage and processing.

4. How are scalar fields and skyrmions related?

Scalar fields can interact with the spins of particles in a material, leading to the formation of skyrmions. The scalar field provides the energy landscape for the spins to arrange themselves in a specific pattern, giving rise to the skyrmion structure.

5. What are some current research topics related to scalar fields and skyrmions?

Some current research topics include the study of skyrmion dynamics and their potential use in spintronic devices, the effects of external fields on skyrmion behavior, and the search for new materials that can support stable skyrmions at room temperature.