How Do Capacitors Behave in a DC Circuit?

In summary, a 12V DC supply is connected in series to 2 capacitors, with the larger capacitance capacitor on the left and a switch also in series. When the switch is closed, the electron flow is anticlockwise, with a negative charge at plate D and a positive charge at plate A. The total capacitance of the arrangement can be determined by using relevant equations. When the switch is closed for some time, the charges on each plate can be deduced, with all the charge moving from plate A to plate D and no change in the electrons between plates B and C. If a 1 megaohm resistor is placed between plates B and C, this will not affect
Jamessamuel

Homework Statement

A 12V DC supply is connected in series to 2 capacitors, of 12 and 4 micro farads. A switch is in series also. The diagram shows the capacitors above the supply and the larger capacitance capacitor to the left. The names of the plates of the capacitors from left to right are as follows, A,B,C and D. the + end of the supply is on the left,

i) describe and justify the direction of electron flow when the switch is closed

ii) work out the total capacitance of the arrangement

iii) deduce the charges on each plate when the switch has been closed for some time. justify your answers.

iv) if a 1 megaohm resistor was placed between B and C, how would this affect your answers to i and ii

2. Relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part i) as the supply establishes a negative potential at end D and a positive at end A, the electrons are moved anticlockwise so as to establish a negative charge at D.

ii) was fine

iii) i think this is where my knowledge of capacitors is strained.
i thought that all the charge moved from A to D. and since the electrons in between B and C are iscolated there isn't a change. This is really where i need help.

iv) naturally my inability to answer the previous part pays no dividends here.

Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamessamuel said:

Homework Statement

A 12V DC supply is connected in series to 2 capacitors, of 12 and 4 micro farads. A switch is in series also. The diagram shows the capacitors above the supply and the larger capacitance capacitor to the left. The names of the plates of the capacitors from left to right are as follows, A,B,C and D. the + end of the supply is on the left,

i) describe and justify the direction of electron flow when the switch is closed

ii) work out the total capacitance of the arrangement

iii) deduce the charges on each plate when the switch has been closed for some time. justify your answers.

iv) if a 1 megaohm resistor was placed between B and C, how would this affect your answers to i and ii

2. Relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part i) as the supply establishes a negative potential at end D and a positive at end A, the electrons are moved anticlockwise so as to establish a negative charge at D.

ii) was fine

iii) i think this is where my knowledge of capacitors is strained.
i thought that all the charge moved from A to D. and since the electrons in between B and C are isolated there isn't a change. This is really where i need help.

iv) naturally my inability to answer the previous part pays no dividends here.

Help would be appreciated.
Part (i) may need additional work together with answering part (iii).

What effect will be the effect on plate C, from all that negative charge on plate D ?

Similarly, What will be the effect on plate B from charge on plate A? Is there charge on plate A ?

And here's my two cents:

(ii) fine is a relative qualification. Wat came out ?
(iii) Look under 2. relevant equations :rolleyes:.

In fact, how can you have found (ii) without a relevant equation ? And that very equation was derived (in your notes, or your textbook) on a basis that includes solving (iii)

(iv) can be answered without having solved (i), (ii) or (iii)

Related to How Do Capacitors Behave in a DC Circuit?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, it charges the plates and creates an electric field between them. The electric field stores energy, which can later be released when the capacitor is discharged.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has different characteristics and is used for different applications.

4. What are the uses of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of uses in electronic circuits. They can be used to filter and smooth power supplies, store energy for later use, and block direct current while allowing alternating current to pass. They are also used in timing circuits, oscillators, and audio equipment.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The capacitance, voltage rating, and tolerance are important factors to consider when choosing a capacitor for a circuit. The capacitance should match the required value for the circuit, the voltage rating should be equal to or higher than the circuit's voltage, and the tolerance should be within the required range for the circuit's accuracy.