How do I expand $f(z)$ into a power series?

In summary, the power series for $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{4 + 3z}{(z + 1)(z + 2)^2}$ can be found by using partial fractions and expanding each term separately. The radius of convergence for each term can be found separately and then combined to find the overall radius of convergence for the series. Alternatively, the series can be directly expanded without using partial fractions.
Dustinsfl
$\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{4 + 3z}{(z + 1)(z + 2)^2}$

How do I find the power series?

I know that

$\displaystyle\frac{1}{z+1} = \frac{1}{1-(-z)} = \sum_{n}^{\infty}(-z)^n$

and

$\displaystyle\frac{1}{(z+2)^2} = \frac{d}{dz} \frac{-1}{z+2} = \frac{d}{dz} \frac{-1}{1 - (-z-1)} = \sum_{n}^{\infty} -n(-z-1)^{n-1}$

But how do I do the above expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should specify at what point do you want the power series to be centered at.

z = 0

Okay, I suggest to start with partial fractions. (Wink)

Note that $4+3z = 2(z+1)+(z+2)$ and $1 = (z+2)-(z+1)$.

ThePerfectHacker said:
Okay, I suggest to start with partial fractions. (Wink)

Set like Real partial fractions?

$\displaystyle\frac{A}{z+1}+\frac{B}{z+2}+\frac{C+Dz}{(z+2)^2}$

dwsmith said:
Set like Real partial fractions?

$\displaystyle\frac{A}{z+1}+\frac{B}{z+2}+\frac{C+Dz}{(z+2)^2}$

No, be careful,
$$ \frac{A}{z+1} + \frac{B}{z+2} + \frac{C}{(z+2)^2}$$

Or you can be more creative like Sherlock.

dwsmith said:
$\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{4 + 3z}{(z + 1)(z + 2)^2}$ How do I find the power series?

Perhaps you have to find all Laurent series expansions centered at $0$ . In such a case we have three regions: $C_1\equiv\;0<|z|<1$ , $C_2\equiv\;1<|z|<2$ and $C_3\equiv\;2<|z|<+\infty$ . For example for the first addend we have $\dfrac{1}{1+z}=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}(-1)^nz^n$ if $|z|<1$ and $\dfrac{1}{1+z}=\dfrac{1}{z}\dfrac{1}{1+1/z}=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\dfrac{(-1)^n}{z^{n+1}}$ if $|z|>1$ etc.

Last edited:
From partial fractions,

$\displaystyle\frac{1}{1-(-z)}-\frac{1}{1-(-z-1)}+2\frac{d}{dz}\frac{-1}{1-(-z-1)}$

By theorem,

The derivative of the sum converges to same L of the sum. So can I disregard taking the derivative of the sum and have this:

$\displaystyle\sum_n^{\infty}\left[(-z)^n-3(-z-1)^n\right]$

Is this ok to do or do I need to take the derivative and then combine?

$\displaystyle\sum_n^{\infty}\left[(-z)^n-(-z-1)^n-2n(-z-1)^{n-1}\right]$

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
Is this ok to do or do I need to take the derivative and then combine?

$\displaystyle\sum_n^{\infty}\left[(-z)^n-(-z-1)^n-2n(-z-1)^{n-1}\right]$
Yes, this is correct. I don't know what you meant about a theorem saying the derivative of the sum is the limit of the sum in the other post, and I don't think it's true.

How can I find the radius of convergence for this series?

dwsmith said:
How can I find the radius of convergence for this series?

Can I find each radius of convergence separately? Or is there a way to combine this? Or is there a way to directly do this sum?

Related to How do I expand $f(z)$ into a power series?

What is a power series expansion?

A power series expansion is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as an infinite sum of polynomials. It allows us to approximate a function over a certain interval using simpler functions, making calculations and analysis easier.

How is a power series expansion calculated?

A power series expansion is typically calculated by finding the coefficients of the polynomial terms in the function. These coefficients can be determined using techniques such as differentiation, integration, or the Taylor series formula.

What is the purpose of a power series expansion?

The main purpose of a power series expansion is to approximate a function over a certain interval. This allows us to simplify complex functions and make calculations and analysis easier. It is also useful in solving differential equations and studying the behavior of functions.

What are some applications of power series expansions?

Power series expansions have many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used in areas such as signal processing, control systems, quantum mechanics, and statistics. They are also essential in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.

What are the limitations of a power series expansion?

A power series expansion can only approximate a function within a certain interval, so it may not accurately represent the function outside of that interval. Additionally, the convergence of a power series expansion may be slow, making it less useful for practical applications.