How do i factor that induction expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a sum and a given equation. The first statement is proven for n=1, and then the sum is adjusted to get a common denominator. There is a mistake in the sum, and the correct term to add should be (n+1)^2/2^n. The conversation then discusses how to rearrange the new expression to get it in the desired form.
James889
Hi,

i need to prove that [tex]\sum^n_{k=1}\frac{k^2}{2^k} = 6-~\frac{n^2+4n+6}{2^n}~~(*)[/tex]

for n=1 the statement holds as [tex]\sum\frac{1}{2} = 6 -\frac{11}{2}[/tex]

[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \frac{k^2}{2^k} = 6-~\frac{n^2+4n+6}{2^n} + \frac{n+1}{2^{n+1}}[/tex]

In order to get a common denominator multiply (*) by 2

[tex]\frac{2n^2 + 8n +12 + n^2 +2n +1}{2^n} \longrightarrow \frac{3n^2 + 10n +13}{2^n}[/tex]

But how do i factor that expression ?

Physics news on Phys.org

James889 said:
Hi,

i need to prove that [tex]\sum^n_{k=1}\frac{k^2}{2^k} = 6-~\frac{n^2+4n+6}{2^n}~~(*)[/tex]

for n=1 the statement holds as [tex]\sum\frac{1}{2} = 6 -\frac{11}{2}[/tex]

[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \frac{k^2}{2^k} = 6-~\frac{n^2+4n+6}{2^n} + \frac{n+1}{2^{n+1}}[/tex]
You have a mistake here. Your sum adds numbers of the form [itex]k^2/2^n[/itex] so the term added should be
[tex]\frac{(n+1)^2}{2^n}[/tex]

In order to get a common denominator multiply (*) by 2

[tex]\frac{2n^2 + 8n +12 + n^2 +2n +1}{2^n} \longrightarrow \frac{3n^2 + 10n +13}{2^n}[/tex]

But how do i factor that expression ?

okay,

So now we have [tex]\frac{2n^2+6n+7}{2^n}[/tex]

But shouldn't the new expression be of the form [tex]\frac{\text{polynomial}}{2^{n+1}}[/tex]?

i haven't checked your answer, but to get in the form you want, you could you try multiplying by 2/2 then rearranging the polynomial in terms of (n+1)

Related to How do i factor that induction expression?

1. How do I determine which method to use for factoring an induction expression?

There are several methods for factoring an induction expression, including the AC method, grouping, and difference of squares. The method you should use depends on the specific expression and its factors. It is important to carefully analyze the expression and try different methods to find the best approach.

2. Can I use a calculator to factor an induction expression?

While calculators can be helpful for checking your work, it is important to understand the concepts behind factoring and to use manual methods. Relying solely on calculators can lead to errors and a lack of understanding of the underlying principles.

3. What is the difference between factoring and simplifying an induction expression?

Factoring an induction expression means breaking it down into its simplest factors. Simplifying, on the other hand, involves reducing the expression to its simplest form by combining like terms and removing unnecessary elements. Factoring is a key step in simplifying an expression, but it is not the same as simplifying.

4. Can I factor an induction expression with variables?

Yes, you can factor expressions with variables using the same methods as you would for numeric expressions. However, it is important to pay attention to the rules of algebra, such as combining like terms and the distributive property, when factoring expressions with variables.

5. Are there any shortcuts for factoring an induction expression?

There are a few common patterns that can help you factor expressions more quickly, such as the difference of squares and the perfect square trinomial. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and not rely solely on shortcuts, as they may not apply to all expressions.