How do I solve for complex roots of a polynomial function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to find the roots of a polynomial function using the rational root theorem, upper and lower bounds, and other methods. However, it is concluded that there is no general method for finding irrational real or complex roots of such irreducible polynomial equations, and only numerical algorithms can be used to determine approximate solutions.
azwraith69

Homework Statement

f(x)=24x7-13x6-19x5+7x4-7x3+5x2+72x-54

Find all the roots..

Homework Equations

+-(p/q)...for rational roots

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried factor theorem,, and synthetic division for the possible roots..i've used uppe/lower bounds but i can't get a single root..

when i used a software to solve for this,, the roots i got are 6 imaginaries and .77547

i have no idea how to show the solution... how to solve for imaginary roots of such irreducible polynomial function??

thX.. really need this asap..

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you mention "rational roots", I take it you know the "rational root theorem": If p/q is a rational root of the polynomial, then q is a factor of the leading coefficient and p is a factor of the constant term. In this case we can simplify the search a little by noting that both 24 and 54 are multiples of 6. If we were to divide the entire polynomial by 6, that wouldn't change the roots but would make the leading coefficient 4 and the constant term 9. The factors of 4 are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 4[/itex] and the factors of 9 are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 3, \pm 9[/itex] so the only possible rational roots are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 1/2, \pm 1/4, \pm 3, \pm 3/2, \pm 3/4, \pm 9, \pm 9/2, \pm 9/4[/itex].

I don't believe this has any rational roots!

Other than looking for rational roots and hoping to reduce, there is no general method of finding irrarational real or complex roots of such a polynomial.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try theorems that give upper and lower bounds for the sizes of real roots - these bounds are typically stated in terms of expressions involving the coefficients. (Assuming, of course, that you have had them discussed in your class.)

HallsofIvy said:
Since you mention "rational roots", I take it you know the "rational root theorem": If p/q is a rational root of the polynomial, then q is a factor of the leading coefficient and p is a factor of the constant term. In this case we can simplify the search a little by noting that both 24 and 54 are multiples of 6. If we were to divide the entire polynomial by 6, that wouldn't change the roots but would make the leading coefficient 4 and the constant term 9. The factors of 4 are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 4[/itex] and the factors of 9 are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 3, \pm 9[/itex] so the only possible rational roots are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 1/2, \pm 1/4, \pm 3, \pm 3/2, \pm 3/4, \pm 9, \pm 9/2, \pm 9/4[/itex].

I don't believe this has any rational roots!

Other than looking for rational roots and hoping to reduce, there is no general method of finding irrarational real or complex roots of such a polynomial.

ok,, i know the theorems,, upper/lower bounds,, etc..
and i know that this has no rational roots..

i just want to know methods to find irrational real, or imaginary roots for such irreducible equations... if there is really none,, ok... but i hope there is..

thx hallsofivy

Do you know that there exist polynomials of degree 5 or higher whose roots cannot be written in terms of combinations of radicals?

There cannot be a general way of giving exact solutions to such equations. You can, of course, use numerical algorithms to determine approximate solutions.

Related to How do I solve for complex roots of a polynomial function?

1. What are complex roots of a polynomial?

Complex roots of a polynomial are solutions to the polynomial equation that involve imaginary numbers. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do I find the complex roots of a polynomial?

To find the complex roots of a polynomial, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the polynomial into a product of linear factors. You can also use graphing or estimation methods to approximate the roots.

3. Why do some polynomials have complex roots?

Polynomials with complex roots typically have complex coefficients or involve higher degree equations. The presence of complex roots can also indicate that the polynomial does not have any real roots.

4. What is the significance of complex roots in mathematics and science?

Complex roots are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to solve equations that involve imaginary numbers. They also play a crucial role in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

5. Can complex roots be used in real-life applications?

Yes, complex roots have many practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and control systems. They can also be used to model real-life phenomena such as oscillations and waves.