How do I type mathematical statements?

In summary, the conversation discusses using mathematical statements, such as fractions, exponents, and integrals, in the homework help forum. The suggestion is to search the forum for explanations on using latex and to click on graphics to see the code. The conversation also provides examples and tips on using the code for different mathematical expressions. It is recommended to visit the latex thread in the general physics section to learn more.
arunma
I've seen people in the homework help forum type mathematical statements such as fractions, exponents, integrals, etc. Anyone know how I can do this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
eliminate * when using code

Start with the [*tex] statement

then when you are done type [*/tex]
for example

[*tex] 5x=3+2 [*/tex]
equals
[tex] 5x=3+2 [/tex]

for fractions
do
foward slash {num}{denom}

so

5/3 equals [*tex] \frac{5}{3} [/*tex]
[tex] \frac{5}{3} [/tex]
{}are used to group terms
for example
\sqrt{25}

the \ is to let the code know ur typing out something for that translates to a symbol
\pi [tex] \pi [/tex]
\gamma [tex] \gamma [/tex]

if you were to do something to a power and it have more than one term or subscript you would want to use brackets

otherwise this will happen

e^ip [tex] e^i5 [/tex]
e^{ip} [tex] e^{i5} [/tex]

Last edited:
That was meant to be a quick lesson for a full understanding go to the latex thread under general physics and just click on peoples latex code and teach yourself the code.

Related to How do I type mathematical statements?

1. How do I type mathematical symbols on my computer?

To type mathematical symbols on your computer, you can use a combination of keyboard shortcuts and special characters. For example, to type the symbol for pi (π), you can use the keyboard shortcut "Alt + 227" or insert the character from the "Insert" tab in your word processing program.

2. What is the best way to type fractions in mathematical statements?

To type fractions in mathematical statements, you can use the forward slash (/) or the division symbol (÷). For example, 1/2 or 1 ÷ 2 will both be interpreted as the fraction 1/2.

3. How do I type exponents and superscripts?

To type exponents and superscripts, you can use the caret symbol (^) or the "sup" tag. For example, 2^3 or 23 will both be interpreted as 2 to the power of 3.

4. Is there a way to type mathematical symbols on a mobile device?

Yes, most mobile devices have a special keyboard or function that allows you to access mathematical symbols. You can also download a third-party keyboard app specifically designed for typing mathematical statements.

5. How can I ensure my mathematical statements are correctly formatted?

To ensure your mathematical statements are correctly formatted, it is important to use proper mathematical notation and symbols. You can also use a word processing program or online equation editor to input and format your mathematical statements accurately.