How do I use bivectors to find the electric field in a weak magnetic field?

In summary, the geodesic equation describes the motion of a particle in a curved spacetime, while the weak-field approximation is a simplified metric that can be used in calculations. To find the electric field, you need to have a background observer with a 4-velocity and use the formula E^{\mu} = F^{\mu}{}{}_{\nu}u^{\nu}. Alternatively, you can use the bivector formalism and represent the electromagnetic field with complex vector fields.
darida
Geodesic equation:

[itex]m_{0}\frac{du^{\alpha}}{d\tau}+\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu}u^{\mu}u^{\nu}= qF^{\alpha\beta}u_{\beta}[/itex]

Weak-field:

[itex]ds^{2}= - (1+2\phi)dt^{2}+(1-2\phi)(dx^{2}+dy^{2}+dz^{2})[/itex]

Magnetic field, [itex]B[/itex] is set to be zero.

I want to find electric field, [itex]E[/itex], but don't know where to start, so could someone give me a procedure to find it?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##F_{\mu\nu}## is a covariant object but ##E^{\mu}## and ##B^{\mu}## are not i.e. they are frame dependent quantities. They only have meaning if you have a background observer with 4-velocity ##u^{\mu}## who can decompose ##F_{\mu\nu}## into ##E^{\mu}## and ##B^{\mu}## relative to ##u^{\mu}##.

Once you have such a ##u^{\mu}##, then ##E^{\mu} = F^{\mu}{}{}_{\nu}u^{\nu}## and ##B^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta}u_{\nu}##.

Likes 1 person
That's not entirely true. You can build a formalism of classical electromagnetics with socalled bivectors by representing the electromagnetic field with [itex]\mathbb{C}^3[/itex] vector fields,
[tex]\vec{\mathfrak{E}}=\vec{E} + \mathrm{i} \vec{B}.[/tex]
This makes use of the group-isomorphism [itex]\mathrm{SO}(1,3)^{\uparrow} \simeq \mathrm{SO}(3,\mathbb{C}).[/itex]

Thus the product
[tex]\vec{\mathfrak{E}}^2=\vec{E}^2-\vec{B}^2 + 2\mathrm{i} \vec{E} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex]
is Lorentz invariant wrt. to proper orthochronous Lorentz transformations, and indeed also the four-vector formalism shows that the corresponding invariants given by the real and imaginary part of the bivector scalar product are proportional to the invariants [itex]F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} F^{\mu \nu} F^{\rho \sigma}=F^{\mu \nu} F^{\dagger}_{\mu \nu}[/itex].

A nice review on this funny bivector formalism can be found here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.1218

Likes 1 person

Related to How do I use bivectors to find the electric field in a weak magnetic field?

1. What is the Weak Field Geodesic Equation?

The Weak Field Geodesic Equation is a mathematical equation used in the field of general relativity to describe the motion of particles in a weak gravitational field.

2. How is the Weak Field Geodesic Equation different from the Strong Field Geodesic Equation?

The Weak Field Geodesic Equation is a linear approximation of the Strong Field Geodesic Equation, which is used to describe the motion of particles in a strong gravitational field.

3. What is the significance of the Weak Field Geodesic Equation in general relativity?

The Weak Field Geodesic Equation is important in general relativity because it allows us to make predictions about the motion of objects in a weak gravitational field, such as the motion of planets around a star.

4. How is the Weak Field Geodesic Equation derived?

The Weak Field Geodesic Equation is derived from the Einstein field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy. The equation is then simplified using the linear approximation for weak gravitational fields.

5. Can the Weak Field Geodesic Equation be applied to all objects in a weak gravitational field?

Yes, the Weak Field Geodesic Equation can be applied to all objects, regardless of their mass or composition, as long as the gravitational field is considered weak. However, for objects with very high velocities or in strong gravitational fields, the Strong Field Geodesic Equation may be more accurate.