How Do Prime Numbers Divide Factorials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that determines the largest exponent of a prime number that can divide a factorial number. The proof explains the use of m_i to represent the number of multiples of p^i in the set {1,2,3,...,n}. It also shows that if a is divisible by p^j and not by p^{j+1}, it will be counted j times in the sum (t) and will contribute an i towards t. Finally, it is shown that t=s, which can be understood by setting a=n and applying the floor function.
Ethereal
I was reading this tutorial and I came across this part which I didn't quite understand:

Theorem: Let n and p be positive integers and p be prime. Then the largest exponent s such that [tex]p^s|n![/tex] is:
[tex]s = \sum_{j{\geq}1} \displaystyle{\lfloor} \frac{n}{p^j} \displaystyle{\rfloor}[/tex] (1)

Proof Let [tex]m_i[/tex] be the number of multiples of [tex]p^i[/tex] in the set {1,2,3,...,n}. Let

[tex]t = m_1 + m_2 + m_3 + ... + m_k[/tex] (2)

Suppose that a belongs to {1,2,3,...,n}, and such that [tex]p^j|a[/tex] but not [tex]p^{j+1}|a[/tex]. Then in the sum (2) a will be counted j times and will contribute i towards t. This shows that t=s.
I don't follow this. What does "a will be counted j times and will contribute i towards t" mean? Why does this show that t=s?

Physics news on Phys.org
First get this clear ...
m1 denotes the number of values in {1,..,n} divisible by p
m2 denotes the number of values in {1,..,n} divisible by p^2
m3 denotes the number of values in {1,..,n} divisible by p^3
mk denotes the number of values in {1,..,n} divisible by p^k

if a is divisible by p^j and not by p^j+1
that means the maximum power of p that can divide a is j ...

if p^j|a then p|a,p^2|a,p^3|a,p^4|a,...,p^j|a

that means this number a will have been counted in m1,m2,m3,m4,...,mj
t = sum of all m_i's
so a will have been counted j times in t ...

contribute an i towards t
or in other words contribute an m_i towards t
(can u see why?)

why is t=s?
set a=n and apply floor

-- AI

The theorem is stating that the largest exponent (s) of a prime number (p) that divides a factorial (n!) is equal to the sum of the number of multiples of p^i in the set {1,2,3,...,n}, where i ranges from 1 to k.

The proof is using the fact that if we have a number a that is a multiple of p^j, but not p^(j+1), then it will contribute j to the sum t. This is because a is counted j times in the sum (since it is a multiple of p^j) and it will contribute i (which is equal to j) towards t. This is because a is counted j times in the sum (since it is a multiple of p^j) and it will contribute i (which is equal to j) towards t.

This means that for each multiple of p^j in the set {1,2,3,...,n}, it will contribute j towards t. And since the set includes all multiples of p^j up to n, the sum t will be equal to the total number of multiples of p^j in the set. This is why t is equal to m_1 + m_2 + m_3 + ... + m_k, where k is the largest exponent of p that divides n!.

Therefore, by showing that t=s, we are proving that the largest exponent of p that divides n! is equal to the sum of the number of multiples of p^i in the set {1,2,3,...,n}. This is what the theorem (1) is stating.

Related to How Do Prime Numbers Divide Factorials?

1. What are prime divisors of factorials?

The prime divisors of a factorial are the prime numbers that divide the factorial number evenly without any remainder. For example, the prime divisors of 5! (5 factorial) are 2 and 5.

2. How do you find the prime divisors of a factorial?

To find the prime divisors of a factorial, first calculate the factorial number. Then, starting from 2, check if each prime number is a divisor of the factorial. If it is, divide the factorial by that prime number and repeat the process until there are no more prime divisors. The remaining factorial will be the largest prime divisor.

3. What is the significance of prime divisors of factorials?

The prime divisors of factorials are important in number theory and combinatorics. They help in determining the number of ways to arrange a set of objects and also in finding the greatest common divisor of two or more numbers.

4. Can a factorial have infinitely many prime divisors?

No, a factorial can only have a finite number of prime divisors. This is because factorials grow very quickly and eventually, the factorial number will become larger than any prime number, making it impossible for the prime number to be a divisor.

5. Are there any patterns in the prime divisors of factorials?

Yes, there are certain patterns in the prime divisors of factorials. For example, the prime divisors of odd factorials (e.g. 5!, 7!, 9!) will always include the prime number itself. Also, the prime divisors of consecutive factorials (e.g. 5! and 6!) will always have a common prime divisor.