How Do Stability and Linearity Determine System Behavior?

In summary, the system is not linear since it is nonlinear and does not satisfy the property of being "additive".
tina_singh
confused!..system stability and linearity

1)-Is y(n)=cos{x(n)} a stable system??
and is the condition s=Ʃ|h(k)|<∞ for stability valid only for LTI systems?
actually my book solves the given problem using the above method..but according to me the given system is not LTI SINCE ZERO I/P does not lead to zero O/P...so i m really confused

2)to prove system to be linear is it enough to pove that zero i/p leads to zero o/p??
the system y(t)=[{x(t)}^2] also gives zero o/p on zero i/p but it is not linear...

Physics news on Phys.org

No point in subjecting your function cos[x(n)] to a Nyquist test (unit circle stability test) since it's obviously nonlinear.

You cannot apply the usual expression for the output at discrete multiples of time T. On the other hand, cos[x(nT)] is clearly stable since it can never go beyond +/-1.

Finally. I must confess with great chagrin that I don't know what the sufficiency test for linearity is with a z transfer function. But clearly you are right in assuming y = cos[x(n)] is nonlinear. I would assume that if the function is a plynomial fraction in z that it is linear. But that is just a not-so-educated guess. :confused:

if the system is linear
out put for "sum of two different signals" as input should be same as " sum of outputs got when two signals are given separately as input

reddvoid said:
if the system is linear
out put for "sum of two different signals" as input should be same as " sum of outputs got when two signals are given separately as input

That's exactly right and is the right answer. So it can be applied equally well to discrete systems, obviously. Thanks reddvoid! Funny how sometimes one doesn't see the woods for the trees!

reddvoid said:
if the system is linear

Actually if the signal satisfy above property the system is "additive". Which is f(x1+x2)=f(x1)+f(x2).

Additionally the following property, f(λx)=λf(x) is the "homogenity".

If a system is both "additive" and "homogen" it is said that the system is "linear".

Likes reddvoid

Related to How Do Stability and Linearity Determine System Behavior?

1. What is the difference between system stability and linearity?

System stability refers to the ability of a system to maintain a steady state or equilibrium despite external disturbances. Linearity, on the other hand, refers to the property of a system where the output is directly proportional to the input. In other words, a linear system follows the principle of superposition, where the response to a sum of inputs is equal to the sum of individual responses to each input.

2. Can a system be stable but not linear?

Yes, a system can be stable but not linear. For example, a system can be stable in the sense that it does not diverge or oscillate, but the output may not be directly proportional to the input and therefore, the system is not linear. This is often the case in non-linear systems where the output does not follow a linear relationship with the input.

3. How can I determine if a system is stable or not?

There are various methods to determine system stability, such as analyzing the system's transfer function, impulse response, or step response. One commonly used method is the Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion, which involves constructing a table of coefficients from the system's characteristic equation to determine the number of poles in the right half-plane. If there are no poles in the right half-plane, the system is stable.

4. What are the implications of a non-linear system?

A non-linear system can exhibit complex and unpredictable behavior, making it challenging to analyze and control. It may also lead to the occurrence of phenomena such as chaos, where small changes in the input can result in significant and unpredictable changes in the output. Non-linear systems are often encountered in real-world systems, and their analysis requires specialized methods and techniques.

5. Can a non-linear system be stable?

Yes, a non-linear system can be stable. However, stability analysis of non-linear systems is more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques such as Lyapunov stability analysis. It is also worth noting that even if a non-linear system is stable, it may still exhibit complex and unpredictable behavior, making it challenging to control.