How Do You Calculate Friction Forces for a Car on a Flat Surface?

In summary: I calculated it to be 0.0908.In summary, the problem involves a 1326kg car on a flat surface that requires a force of 160N to overcome static friction and start moving, and a force of 120N to stop it. The question asks about calculating the friction forces or coefficients of friction, with the coefficient being a ratio. The direction of friction is always opposite of the motion of the object and can be calculated by multiplying the Normal force by the kinetic coefficient. Without knowing the coefficient, it is calculated to be 0.0908.
H4NS

Homework Statement

A 1326kg car lies on a flat surface. To make it move very slowly (a~0), one needs a force of 160N parallel to the surface. To stop it, the force must be reduced to 120N.

Homework Equations

Calculate the friction forces of the car

On Tuesday I have an exam regarding this and related topics. I missed some classes due to sickness and now I am a little lost.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
According Newton's 2nd law,

Fnet=ma

Fnet==F1+F2+F3+ ...Fn

Forces are vectors, so they have magnitude and direction.
If you take vector force pointing to the right is positive(vector as an arrow) , then vectors pointing to the left as negative.
As for the friction, the direction is always opposite of the motion of the object.
The value can be calculated by multiplying the Normal force to the kinetic coefficient μ.

If I have understood correctly, the problem statement is telling you that to overcome the static friction you need to apply 160N. However once it's moving you only need to apply >120N to keep it moving. (eg this is a problem about static and dynamic friction).

However is the question really asking you to calculate the "friction forces" or the "coefficients of friction" ?

If the latter, look at the wikipedia entry for coefficient of friction. Hint: It's a ratio.

Sorry but I might not be able to return to this thread later.

CWatters said:
If I have understood correctly, the problem statement is telling you that to overcome the static friction you need to apply 160N. However once it's moving you only need to apply >120N to keep it moving. (eg this is a problem about static and dynamic friction).

However is the question really asking you to calculate the "friction forces" or the "coefficients of friction" ?

If the latter, look at the wikipedia entry for coefficient of friction. Hint: It's a ratio.

Sorry but I might not be able to return to this thread later.

Yes, I meant the coefficient.

And also, the stop the car, you reduce the applied force to 120N

azizlwl said:
According Newton's 2nd law,

Fnet=ma

Fnet==F1+F2+F3+ ...Fn

Forces are vectors, so they have magnitude and direction.
If you take vector force pointing to the right is positive(vector as an arrow) , then vectors pointing to the left as negative.
As for the friction, the direction is always opposite of the motion of the object.
The value can be calculated by multiplying the Normal force to the kinetic coefficient μ.

I don't have the kinetic coefficient

Last edited:

I can offer some guidance on how to approach this problem. The first thing to consider is the definition of friction force. Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and moving relative to each other. In this case, the car is on a flat surface and is being moved slowly, so we can assume that the friction force is due to sliding friction, which is proportional to the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the car) and the coefficient of friction (a property of the two surfaces in contact).

To calculate the friction force in this scenario, we can use the equation Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. In this case, we are given the force needed to make the car move and stop, so we can use these values to find the coefficient of friction.

To make the car move slowly (a~0), we need a force of 160N parallel to the surface. This force is equal to the friction force, so we can set Ff = 160N. We can also assume that the normal force is equal to the weight of the car, which is given as 1326kg. So, we can rewrite the equation as 160N = μ(1326kg x 9.8m/s^2), which gives us a coefficient of friction of approximately 0.012.

To stop the car, we need a force of 120N. Again, this force is equal to the friction force, so we can set Ff = 120N. Using the same assumptions as before, we can rewrite the equation as 120N = μ(1326kg x 9.8m/s^2). Solving for μ, we get a coefficient of friction of approximately 0.009.

In summary, the friction force of the car is directly related to the coefficient of friction and the normal force. By using the given forces and the equation Ff = μN, we can calculate the coefficient of friction for both scenarios. I hope this helps you understand the concept of friction forces and how to approach this type of problem. Best of luck on your exam!

Related to How Do You Calculate Friction Forces for a Car on a Flat Surface?

1. What is friction and why is it important to calculate friction forces?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other. It is important to calculate friction forces because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, and to design and optimize machines and structures.

2. How is friction force calculated?

Friction force is calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials and surfaces in contact, while the normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of contact.

3. What are the different types of friction forces?

The three main types of friction forces are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding against each other, and rolling friction occurs when an object is rolling over a surface.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect friction force?

The angle of inclination, or the angle at which a surface is tilted, can affect friction force in different ways. If the angle is small, the normal force will be greater, resulting in a higher friction force. However, if the angle is too steep, the normal force will decrease and the friction force will also decrease.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating friction forces?

Calculating friction forces has many real-world applications, such as designing car brakes to provide optimal stopping distance, determining the force needed to move objects on different surfaces, and designing shoes with appropriate treads for different terrains. It is also essential in understanding the mechanics of sports, such as the friction between a ball and the ground in soccer or the friction between a skateboard and a ramp in skateboarding.