How Do You Calculate Inductance in an R-L Circuit?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Scitt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the problem involves finding the final impedance and inductance of a circuit with a resistive load and an inductor connected in series. The resistive load has a current of 15A at 125V, 50Hz, and the inductor is added to draw the same current from a 230V, 50Hz supply. The inductor is assumed to have no resistance. The relevant equations for solving this problem involve inductors in an AC circuit. The resistance of the resistor can be calculated as 8.3333 (R=125V/15A).
Scitt

Homework Statement

[/B]
A resistive load takes a current of 15A at 125V, 50Hz. An inductor is then connected in series in order that the same current should be drawn from a 230V, 50Hz supply. Assuming the inductor has no resistance, calculate

Homework Equations

The final impedance of the circuit
The inductance of the inductor

The Attempt at a Solution

dont want answer want to know where to start, is resistance of resistor 8.3333(R=125v/15a

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by collecting equations relevant to the problem. You have written more of the problem statement in place of relevant equations. What equations pertain to inductors in an ac circuit?

Your resistance value is correct.

Related to How Do You Calculate Inductance in an R-L Circuit?

1. What is an R-L circuit?

An R-L circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. The resistor is a component that resists the flow of electrical current, while the inductor is a component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of an R-L circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of an R-L circuit, you can use the formula Rtotal = R + jωL, where R is the resistance, ω is the angular frequency, and L is the inductance. Alternatively, you can use Ohm's law (R = V/I) to calculate the resistance based on the voltage (V) and current (I) in the circuit.

3. What is the time constant of an R-L circuit?

The time constant of an R-L circuit is a measure of how quickly the current in the circuit changes. It is calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R). A larger time constant indicates a slower rate of change, while a smaller time constant indicates a faster rate of change.

4. How do I solve for the current in an R-L circuit?

To solve for the current in an R-L circuit, you can use the formula I = I0e-t/τ, where I is the current at a given time, I0 is the initial current, t is the time, and τ is the time constant. Alternatively, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law to solve for the current based on the voltage and resistance in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of R-L circuits?

R-L circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power transmission systems, electric motors, and generators. R-L circuits are also important in the study of electromagnetism and are used in many scientific experiments and research.