How Do You Calculate Maximum Flexural Stress in a Cast Iron Pipe?

• Thread starter samuelvil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a question about calculating the maximum flexural stress induced in a cast iron pipe. The relevant equation is M/I=σ/y=ε/r, but the student is unsure of how to apply it to the question. They have tried researching on their own but have not been successful. The expert recommends a reference for basic flexure theory and suggests further research may be needed to understand how to calculate the bending moment.
samuelvil

Homework Statement

so the question I got from my teacher is:
A cast iron pipe of external diameter 60mm and 10 mm thickness and 5 m long is supported at its ends. The pipe carries a point load of 100N at its centre. Calculate the maximun flexural stress induced?

Homework Equations

I think that the relevant eqn to be used should be
M/I=σ/y=ε/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the equation but don't really know how to solve it as I was not able to get any example...please help

Physics news on Phys.org
How hard did you look?

If you are taking a structural analysis course, you should have a textbook or some notes. Did you do any work at all besides log onto PF?

yes I did, we don't use any specific textbook, and if you do have some references it will be welcome,it is the first time I use such websites. I tried to watch some videos on youtube, and tried to have some information on google, but the explanation are so vast that I am not able to find out how to apply it to the question I have. I don't want you to do all the work...I just want an advice or a website where I can understand how flexural stress is calculated.

I would first clarify any assumptions or missing information with the teacher or in the problem statement. Assuming the pipe is cylindrical and the load is applied at the center, I would use the following equation to calculate flexural stress:

σ = (M*c)/I

Where:
σ = flexural stress (Pa)
M = bending moment (Nm)
c = distance from neutral axis to the outermost fiber (m)
I = moment of inertia (m^4)

To find the bending moment, I would use the equation:

M = PL/4

Where:
P = point load (N)
L = length of pipe (m)

To calculate the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, I would use the equation:

c = d/2

Where:
d = external diameter of pipe (m)

To find the moment of inertia, I would use the equation for a solid cylindrical beam:

I = π*d^4/64

Where:
d = external diameter of pipe (m)

Plugging in the given values, I would get:

M = (100 N)(5 m)/4 = 125 Nm
c = (0.06 m)/2 = 0.03 m
I = (π*(0.06 m)^4)/64 = 1.415x10^-7 m^4

Substituting these values into the flexural stress equation, I would get:

σ = (125 Nm * 0.03 m)/(1.415x10^-7 m^4) = 2.64x10^10 Pa

Therefore, the maximum flexural stress induced in the cast iron pipe would be 2.64x10^10 Pa.

Related to How Do You Calculate Maximum Flexural Stress in a Cast Iron Pipe?

1. What is flexural stress?

Flexural stress, also known as bending stress, is the stress that occurs in an object when it is subjected to a bending load. It is caused by a force applied perpendicular to the axis of the object, causing it to bend or deform.

2. How do you calculate flexural stress?

The formula for calculating flexural stress is σ = (M * c) / I, where σ is the flexural stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the object.

3. What units is flexural stress measured in?

Flexural stress is typically measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). It can also be expressed in units of force per unit area, such as Newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

4. What factors can affect flexural stress?

The magnitude of flexural stress can be influenced by several factors, including the material properties of the object, the magnitude and distribution of the load, and the shape and dimensions of the object. Other factors such as temperature and environmental conditions can also affect flexural stress.

5. How is flexural stress used in engineering?

Flexural stress is an important concept in engineering, as it is used to determine the strength and stability of structures and materials. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of beams, columns, and other structural elements, to ensure that they can withstand the applied loads without failing or deforming excessively.