How Do You Calculate Resistance in Complex Circuits?

In summary, the value of resistance, R, can be found by using the equation Rt = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 + R3 and substituting in the given values of V = 2V and I = 5A. After solving for Rt and substituting in the given value of R3 = 0.1, the resulting equation is 0.4 = (1/0.5 + 1/R)^-1 + 0.1. Solving for R gives a value of 0.75 ohms.
Maigowai

Homework Statement

What is the value of resistance R in the figure, if the current through the battery is 5.0A?

Homework Equations

V=IR
Rt = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 + R3

The Attempt at a Solution

Rt = V/I
Rt = 2V/5A
Rt = 0.4ohms

0.4 = (1/0.5 + 1/R)^-1 + 0.1
R = -5 ohms

(the answer given is 0.750 ohms)

Attachments

• 22.png
    22.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks correct down to and including 0.4 = (1/0.5 + 1/R)^-1 + 0.1

I started from that point and got the correct answer. Check your arithmetic again.

skeptic2 said:

I started from that point and got the correct answer. Check your arithmetic again.

oh yeah haha you're right, I messed up in my algebra, thanks!

skeptic2 said:

if you could, please take a look at my other quetsion here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3478610#post3478610

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to point out that the given answer of 0.750 ohms may be incorrect. The equation used in the attempt at a solution is correct, but the values used may not be accurate. It is important to have accurate values for voltage and current in order to calculate the resistance correctly. Additionally, the given figure is not provided, so it is difficult to determine the specific circuit configuration and the values of the resistors. Further clarification and accurate values are needed to provide an accurate answer.

Related to How Do You Calculate Resistance in Complex Circuits?

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path through which electricity flows, typically consisting of a power source, wires, components, and a load.

2. What are the different types of electric circuits?

The three main types of electric circuits are series circuits, parallel circuits, and combination circuits. In a series circuit, components are connected one after another in a single loop. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in separate branches. Combination circuits contain elements of both series and parallel circuits.

3. How does an electric circuit work?

An electric circuit works by allowing electricity to flow from the power source, through the wires and components, and back to the power source. The components in the circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes, regulate the flow of electricity to perform specific functions.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits use a power source that constantly changes direction, while DC (direct current) circuits use a power source that flows in one direction. AC circuits are typically used for power distribution, while DC circuits are used for electronic devices.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with electric circuits?

When working with electric circuits, it is important to always turn off the power source before making any changes or repairs. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to prevent electrical shock. Additionally, make sure to follow proper wiring and circuit design guidelines to avoid overloading the circuit and causing potential hazards.