How Do You Calculate Rocket Motion Parameters Over Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating velocity, acceleration, and travel height as a function of time for rocket motion in a single dimension. The equation for acceleration is given, and the individual is seeking help with finding these values. They also mention needing to account for changing weight and drag, and refer to a NASA link for further information.
Dulle
Hi there
I'm having a bit trouble understanding the rocket motion and how the find the velocity, acceleration and travelheight as a function of time.
First, i assume that the velocity of the ejected mass relative to the rocket is constant. Secondly, i assume that the rocket mass changes with a constant rate. I'm working with the motion in a single dimension.

I have derived the rocket motion equation considering the acceleration of the rocket to be:

1.jpg

where vr is the velocity of the rocket, ve is the exhaust velocity, Mr is the mass of the rocket and dM/dt is the change in mass over the interval dt.

So - how do i find:

The velocity as a function of time
The acceleration as a function of time
The travelheight as a function of time

Physics news on Phys.org
For vertical motion you'll need to account for changing weight w = -mg and the drag, and then if the engine burn is short consider the momentum during coasting flight.. Start here and be sure to visit the NASA link included:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=199087

Hello there,

Understanding rocket motion can be a complex topic, but I will do my best to explain it in a clear and concise manner.

To find the velocity as a function of time, we can use the equation you have derived:

vr = ve * ln(Mr/M0)

Where Mr is the mass of the rocket at time t, M0 is the initial mass of the rocket, and ve is the exhaust velocity. This equation assumes that the velocity of the ejected mass relative to the rocket is constant, which is a reasonable assumption for most rockets.

To find the acceleration as a function of time, we can use the derivative of the velocity equation:

a = dvr/dt = ve * d(Mr/M0)/dt

This equation shows that the acceleration of the rocket is directly proportional to the change in mass over time. As the rocket burns fuel and loses mass, the acceleration will decrease over time.

To find the travel height as a function of time, we can use the equation for displacement in one dimension:

h = ho + v0t + (1/2)at^2

Where h is the travel height, ho is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation assumes that the rocket is starting from rest at time t=0.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of rocket motion. Keep in mind that these equations are simplified and do not take into account factors such as air resistance, gravity, and the changing mass of the rocket. But they should give you a good starting point for understanding the basics of rocket motion. Best of luck with your studies!

Related to How Do You Calculate Rocket Motion Parameters Over Time?

1. What is rocket motion?

Rocket motion refers to the movement of a rocket as it travels through space. This includes both the propulsion of the rocket and its trajectory.

2. How does a rocket move in space?

A rocket moves in space through the principle of action and reaction. The rocket's engines produce a force that propels it forward, while the equal and opposite reaction pushes the rocket in the opposite direction.

3. What factors affect rocket motion?

There are several factors that can affect rocket motion, including the amount of thrust produced by the engines, the weight of the rocket, and the air resistance it encounters during flight.

4. How is rocket motion calculated?

Rocket motion is calculated using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. Factors such as the rocket's mass, velocity, and acceleration are taken into account to determine its trajectory and flight path.

5. Why is understanding rocket motion important?

Understanding rocket motion is crucial for the successful launch and operation of rockets in space. It allows scientists to predict and control the movement of rockets, ensuring safe and efficient space travel.