How Do You Calculate the Intensity of a Star at Different Wavelengths?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the intensity of a star with known temperature, radius, and distance from us. Using Planck's Law, the intensity at a specific wavelength can be calculated. However, the intensity at a specific frequency cannot be constant over the visual band, leading to the need for a range of values. To measure the flux of the star above Earth's atmosphere, the surface area and distance must be taken into account.
Krikri

Homework Statement

We have a Star with known temperature T, Radius R and distance from us.
1) Say we know the effective temperature ##T_{eff}## and we want to calculate the intensity ##I(λ.T) at λ=5500 A##.
2) Suppose that ##I(λ,T)## is constant over the range of visual band and ##Δλ(visual)=900A## then calculate ##I(ν,T)## of the star in the Visual band.
3)Measure the flux of the star above the Earth's atmosphere at the visual band (take into account that the black body intensity is independent of the viewing angle thus ## \int_0^{π/2} sinθ cosθ \, dθ=1/2 ##)

Homework Equations

1) Planck's Law ##I(λ,T)=\frac{2hc^2}{λ^5} \frac{1}{e^(\frac{hc}{kλt})-1}## or ##I(ν,T)=\frac{2hν^3}{c^2} \frac{1}{e^(\frac{hν}{kt})-1}##
2)##Ι(n,Τ)dν=-Ι(λ,T)dλ##

The Attempt at a Solution

1) For the first i just put the values in the Planck's formula and do the calculations
2) For the second I am confused. What does it mean ##I(λ,T)## is constant over the visual band and if so isn't ## I(ν,T)## also constant? Secondly I don't know how to measure the intensity over a range, only for a single value of ##λ,ν##. And why do i need ##Δλ## because if there is an integral i need the limits not the range right?
3) For the third question i don't know nothing. If you can point me into a direction to look it would be great

Any help or hint is helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Krikri said:
2) For the second I am confused. What does it mean ##I(λ,T)## is constant over the visual band and if so isn't ## I(ν,T)## also constant?
The first one is (assumed to be) constant (it has the same value everywhere in the interval), the second one is not. This is related to the non-linear relationship between wavelength and frequency. A specific wavelength range (e.g. 1 A) corresponds to a small frequency range at large wavelengths, but it corresponds to a large frequency range at short wavelengths. The intensity cannot be constant in both expressions at the same time.

Secondly I don't know how to measure the intensity over a range, only for a single value of ##λ,ν##. And why do i need ##Δλ## because if there is an integral i need the limits not the range right?
The integral of a constant function is just its value multiplied by the range.

3) For the third question i don't know nothing. If you can point me into a direction to look it would be great
You can calculate the surface area of the star and the surface of a spherical shell with distance [star-earth]. The ratio between the two will be relevant.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Intensity of a Star at Different Wavelengths?

1. How is the intensity of a star calculated?

The intensity of a star is calculated by measuring its brightness, which is known as its apparent magnitude. This is then compared to its absolute magnitude, which is a measure of how bright the star would appear if it were located 10 parsecs away from Earth. The difference between these two values is used to calculate the intensity of the star.

2. What factors affect the intensity of a star?

The intensity of a star can be affected by various factors such as its size, temperature, and distance from Earth. The larger and hotter a star is, the more intense it will appear. Additionally, the distance from Earth can also impact the intensity, as stars that are further away will appear dimmer due to the inverse square law.

3. How is the intensity of a star related to its luminosity?

The intensity of a star and its luminosity are directly related. Luminosity is a measure of the total energy emitted by a star in a given amount of time, while intensity is a measure of the amount of energy received at a specific distance from the star. The higher the luminosity of a star, the higher its intensity will be at a given distance.

4. Can the intensity of a star change over time?

Yes, the intensity of a star can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as the star's age, changes in its internal processes, or interactions with other objects in its surroundings. Some stars may also go through periods of increased or decreased intensity, known as variability.

5. How is the intensity of a star measured?

The intensity of a star is typically measured using a photometer, which is a device that detects and measures light. The photometer records the brightness of the star and compares it to a standard scale of known intensities. This allows scientists to accurately measure the intensity of a star and track any changes over time.