How do you calculate the net efficiency of a series of heat engines?

In summary: WBQH2=WAQH1+WBQH2In summary, two heat engines connected in series with efficiencies e1 and e2 respectively have a net efficiency of e(net)= e1 + (1-e1)e2. This is achieved by converting input heat to useful work and leftover heat, with the heat output of the first engine becoming the heat input of the second engine. The total work done is calculated by substituting W= Qh-Qc and Qm plays a role in this calculation.
Epictetus

Homework Statement

Suppose that two heat engines are connected in a series, such that the heat exhaust of the first engine is used as the heat input of the second (attached diagram below). The efficiencies of the engines are e1 and e2, respectively. Show that the net efficiency of the combination is given by:

e(net)= e1 + (1-e1)e2

Homework Equations

e(max)= 1 - Tc/Th
e= w/Qh = Qh-Qc/Qh = 1 - Qc/Qh
Qc/Qh = Tc/Th

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke up the diagram into two free-body diagrams allowing me to for solve e1 and e2:

e1 = 1-Th/Tm (Am I allowed to apply Qc/Qh = Tc/Th into 1 - Qc/Qh ?[/B])

and

e2= 1-Tm/Tc

Applying e1 and e2 in the given equation:

e(net)= e1 + (1-e1)e2
= (1-Th/Tm) + [1-(1-Th/Tm)](1-Tm/Tc)

which leaves
=1-Tm/Tc (The total efficiency of the engine equals to only the second engine because all the heat input eventually ends up there? )

Attachments

• heat engine.bmp
    75 KB · Views: 801
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want the starting point for e(net) to be the ratio of total work (w_t) to Qh. Instead of starting with the relationship you are trying to prove, start with the fundamental definition of efficiency

e(net) = w_t/Qh = (w1 + w2)/Qh

some of your assumptions appear really bad to me. You are not working with Carnot engines are you?

The thermal efficiency of a heat engine is a measure of converting the "input heat" to the engine to useful mechanical work

[tex]\varepsilon = \frac{W}{Q_H}[/tex]

if the engines are in series the [tex]Q_{C1}[/tex] will become the [tex]Q_{H2}[/tex].
Note that the thermal efficiency of a heat engine would be 100% if [tex]Q_C = 0[/tex].

Attachments

• heat engine.gif
    heat engine.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
andrevdh said:
The thermal efficiency of a heat engine is a measure of converting the "input heat" to the engine to useful mechanical work

[tex]\varepsilon = \frac{W}{Q_H}[/tex]

if the engines are in series the [tex]Q_{C1}[/tex] will become the [tex]Q_{H2}[/tex].
Note that the thermal efficiency of a heat engine would be 100% if [tex]Q_C = 0[/tex].

And figure out work by substituting W= Qh-Qc?
Does Qm play a role in this or does it not effect the work of the heat engine?

sicjeff said:
some of your assumptions appear really bad to me. You are not working with Carnot engines are you?

No, I guess I'm working with heat pumps. I see now that I should've not used e(max) since that would be used when figuring out the effieciency of a Carnot engine...

Epictetus said:

Qm does play a role. Qm is the heat output of the first engine and the heat input of the second engine. Write the two work contributions in terms of the three heat values, and write the individual efficiencies in terms of the respective work to heat-input ratios.

Epictetus said:

Yes you can calculate the work done by a heat engine this way. It will apply for both engines. What it means is that the engine converts the input heat (energy) to usefull work and some left-over heat. A heat engine will always need to shed some left-over heat since it can only function between a hot and cold reservior. That is it can only function if heat can flow between a hot and cold region.

In the case of this problem the heat output of engine one becomes the heat input of engine 2:

[tex]Q_m = Q_{C1} = Q_{H2}[/tex]

We are therefore assuming that no heat escapes from the mid reservior. It just acts to transfer the heat from the first to the second engine.

Last edited:
I think you should use
enet=(WA+WB)QH1

Related to How do you calculate the net efficiency of a series of heat engines?

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It typically operates by taking in heat from a high temperature source, converting some of it into work, and releasing the remaining heat to a low temperature sink.

2. How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by using the principles of thermodynamics. It takes in heat from a high temperature source, which causes a working fluid (such as steam or gas) to expand and do work on a piston or turbine. The remaining heat is then released to a low temperature sink, allowing the cycle to continue.

3. What is thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency is a measure of how much of the heat energy from a high temperature source is converted into useful work. It is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. A perfect heat engine would have a thermal efficiency of 100%, but in reality, all heat engines have some level of inefficiency.

4. How can the efficiency of a heat engine be improved?

The efficiency of a heat engine can be improved by reducing the amount of heat lost to the low temperature sink. This can be achieved through better insulation, using a higher temperature source, or using a more efficient working fluid. Additionally, the design and operation of the engine can be optimized to minimize energy losses.

5. What is the difference between efficiency and effectiveness of a heat engine?

Efficiency refers to how well a heat engine converts heat energy into mechanical work. Effectiveness, on the other hand, refers to how well the engine performs its intended function. A heat engine can have high efficiency but low effectiveness if it is not able to produce enough work for its intended purpose. Conversely, a heat engine can have low efficiency but high effectiveness if it is able to produce enough work despite significant energy losses.