How Do You Create a Callback Function for a Currency Converter in MATLAB?

In summary, the conversation is about a currency converter and the difficulty in understanding how to implement a callback function for the conversion button. The speaker is new to GUI building and only had one lecture, so they are unsure if the task is complicated or if they are over-thinking it. They are also referred to a tutorial for creating a basic adding machine in MATLAB.
phillyj
Hi, I'm working on a currency converter and have some trouble trying to understand how to do the callback function. What I have is 2 menus with source and target currency. I also have an edit box to enter the amount. I have to press a convert button and the output is displayed in another text box.

I'm not sure where to start. Do I have to make multiple functions? I'm still new to gui building and only had one lecture. Is this complicated or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A callback function is a function that's triggered upon an action in a GUI, e.g. a button press. For something like this, your callback would be something triggered on the button press to convert the user input to the output currency.

It's been a while since I used it, but as I recall, when you design your GUI and lay down a button in the GUI Creator, MATLAB should automatically give you a (fairly blank) template code block in the .m file associated with the GUI you're building. The following tutorial takes you through a similar task (creation of a basic adding machine):
http://blinkdagger.com/matlab/matlab-gui-graphical-user-interface-tutorial-for-beginners/

Good luck!

Related to How Do You Create a Callback Function for a Currency Converter in MATLAB?

1. How does a currency converter work?

A currency converter works by using current exchange rates to convert one currency into another. It uses a mathematical formula to calculate the value of the currency based on the exchange rate.

2. What factors should be considered when building a currency converter?

When building a currency converter, factors such as accuracy of exchange rates, user interface design, and functionality should be considered. It is also important to ensure that the converter is regularly updated with the latest exchange rates.

3. Can a currency converter accurately predict future exchange rates?

No, a currency converter cannot accurately predict future exchange rates. It can only provide the current exchange rate and may include a historical data feature to show past trends, but it cannot predict future fluctuations in the market.

4. What are some common challenges when building a currency converter?

Some common challenges when building a currency converter include finding reliable and up-to-date exchange rate data, handling multiple currencies and conversions, and designing a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate and understand.

5. Are there any legal considerations when building a currency converter?

Yes, there may be legal considerations when building a currency converter, such as obtaining licenses or permissions to use exchange rate data and complying with international currency regulations. It is important to research and follow any relevant laws and regulations when building a currency converter.