How Do You Determine the Number of Toothpicks in a Stack of Squares?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Gurtejtaggar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the problem involves determining the rule for calculating the total number of toothpicks needed for a stack of squares that is n high. It is a thinking or extension problem in the discrete functions unit of grade 11 math. The given values of toothpicks in each term can be used to determine the values of the parameters in the function T(n)=k_1n^2+k_2n+k_3. After solving the linear system, it is found that the rule is T(n)=n(n+3).
Gurtejtaggar
I am doing a problem in math which I can't seem to solve.The problem is apart of my discrete functions unit it grade 11 math. The question is: Toothpicks are used to make a sequence of stacked squares as shown. Determine a rule for calculating the total number of toothpicks needed for a stack of squares that is n high. It also gave a diagram with 4 terms and the number of toothpicks in each term was 4,10,18,28. I know that the first differences are 6,8 and 10 which means the second differences share a constant value of 2. Does this mean that I need to make a quadratic equation to find the answer or something else? If so, how would I? By the way, this problem is a thinking or extension problem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your observations are correct...we can represent the total $T$ number of toothpicks for a stack $n$ levels high with the function:

\(\displaystyle T(n)=k_1n^2+k_2n+k_3\)

So, what you want to do is use the given values to determine the values of the parameters $k_i$.

\(\displaystyle T(1)=k_1+k_2+k_3=4\)

\(\displaystyle T(2)=4k_1+2k_2+k_3=10\)

\(\displaystyle T(3)=9k_1+3k_2+k_3=18\)

So, you have a linear 3X3 system to solve.

By the way, I am going to delete the duplicate of this thread posted in our "Chat Room" forum. :D

We could simplify matters by observing $T(0)=0$ and since then $k_3=0$ reduce the system to:

\(\displaystyle k_1+k_2=4\)

\(\displaystyle 2k_1+k_2=5\)

Subtracting the former from the latter, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle k_1=1\implies k_2=3\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle T(n)=n^2+3n=n(n+3)\)

Related to How Do You Determine the Number of Toothpicks in a Stack of Squares?

1. How do you solve an Algebra Problem using toothpicks?

To solve an Algebra Problem using toothpicks, you first need to assign a value to each toothpick. For example, you can assign a value of 1 to a single toothpick, 2 to a double toothpick, 3 to a triple toothpick, and so on. Then, you can use these toothpick values to represent unknown quantities in the problem and use basic algebraic operations to solve for the unknowns.

2. Can toothpicks be used to solve any type of Algebra Problem?

Yes, toothpicks can be used to solve a variety of Algebra Problems, including equations, inequalities, and word problems. However, the complexity of the problem may determine the number of toothpicks needed to accurately represent the unknowns and the steps required to solve it.

3. Is there a specific method for solving Algebra Problems with toothpicks?

There is no set method for solving Algebra Problems with toothpicks, as it may vary depending on the specific problem. However, a common approach is to use toothpick values to represent unknowns, create equations or inequalities, and then use basic algebraic operations to solve for the unknowns.

4. How can toothpicks be used to make Algebra Problems more visual and engaging?

Toothpicks can be used to create visual representations of algebraic concepts, such as equations, inequalities, and functions. This can help students better understand and visualize the problem, making it more engaging and easier to solve. Additionally, using toothpicks can also make the problem more interactive, as students can physically manipulate the toothpicks to represent different values and test out different solutions.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using toothpicks to solve Algebra Problems?

While using toothpicks to solve Algebra Problems can be a helpful visual aid, it may not be suitable for all types of problems. Some problems may require more complex algebraic techniques, which cannot be accurately represented by toothpicks. Additionally, using toothpicks may also be time-consuming, as students may need to create and manipulate a large number of toothpicks to solve the problem.