How Do You Find the Length x in a Geometric Problem with Shaded Areas?

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, to find the length x of the shaded area, we can use the formula for the area of a triangle and rectangle. Setting the combined area equal to 2400 cm^2, we can solve for x. However, in the conversation, there was a mistake in the equation for the triangle's area, which was corrected to be (1/2)x^2. After solving for x, we get the final answer of x=48 cm.
paulmdrdo1
Find the length x if the shaded area is 1200 cm^2

I tried to solve this is what I get

since $A_{triangle}=(\frac{1}{2})({x-1})(x)$

and $A_{rectangle}=x$

$A_{rectangle}+A_{triangle}=2400$

Is the set-up of my equation correct?

Attachments

• stewart problem 1.3.png
    stewart problem 1.3.png
    1,002 bytes · Views: 45
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why are you using $x-1$ in the area of the triangle?

MarkFL said:
Why are you using $x-1$ in the area of the triangle?

I see it. $A_{TRI}=\frac{1}{2}(x^2)$

now I will have

$\frac{1}{2}(x^2)+x=2400$

solving for x $(x-48)(x+50)=0$

$x=48 in.$ :D

Well, you actually have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}x^2+x=1200\)

or:

\(\displaystyle x^2+2x-2400=0\)

\(\displaystyle (x+50)(x-48)=0\)

Discarding the negative root, we then find:

\(\displaystyle x=48\text{ cm}\)

Yes, your set-up is correct. To solve for x, you can simplify the equation to:
$x + \frac{1}{2}x^2 - \frac{1}{2}x = 2400$
Then, you can use algebraic methods to solve for x, which in this case is approximately 55.56 cm.

Related to How Do You Find the Length x in a Geometric Problem with Shaded Areas?

1. How do I solve equations involving angles?

To solve equations involving angles in geometry, you can use the properties of angles such as vertical angles, complementary angles, and supplementary angles. You can also use the triangle sum theorem and exterior angle theorem to solve for unknown angles.

2. Can I use algebra to solve equations in geometry?

Yes, you can use algebra to solve equations in geometry. The general approach is to assign variables to the unknown quantities and then use algebraic operations to solve for those variables.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to solve equations in geometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is often used to solve equations involving the sides of a right triangle.

4. How can I check my solution to an equation in geometry?

You can check your solution by substituting the values you found into the original equation and seeing if it is true. You can also use a geometric construction or a calculator to verify your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations in geometry efficiently?

One tip for solving equations in geometry is to carefully label and organize all given information. It is also helpful to draw accurate diagrams and use the appropriate theorems and formulas for the given problem. Practice and familiarity with geometric concepts can also improve efficiency in solving equations.