How Do You Solve for t When Point E Lies on Line CD?

In summary, AB=[8,2] and AD=[2,6]A point C is determined by DC being parallel to AB and the angle ABC = 90. Calculate the coordinates of C.I found out that C=(46/17, 54/17)Another point E has the coordinates (t, 2t-1) where t = R1) Find t so that point E is on line through C and D.I am not able to solve this oneHomework EquationsED=k*CDED=(-2-t, -2t+1)But I always end up with two unknown variables k and t.ED=[-2-t,-2t+1]ED must be parallel with CD
Kolika28

Homework Statement

A(-4,-4), B(4,-2) and D(-2,2)
a) Determine AB and AD vector
My answer: AB=[8,2] and AD=[2,6]
b) A point C is determined by DC being parallel to AB and the angle ABC = 90. Calculate the coordinates of C.
I found out that C=(46/17, 54/17)
c) Another point E has the coordinates (t, 2t-1) where t = R
1) Find t so that point E is on line through C and D.

I am not able to solve this one

Homework Equations

ED=k*CD
ED=(-2-t, -2t+1)
But I always end up with two unknown variables k and t.

The Attempt at a Solution

ED=[-2-t,-2t+1]
ED must be parallel with CD, therefore is
ED=k*CD=[(-80/17)k,(-20/17)k]
I don't know what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, [tex]x=t ; y=2t-1[/tex] are the parametric equations of a straight line and they tell you that E is a point on this line. You just have to intersect this straight line, with the straight line the contains the vector DC (Do you know how to obtain the equations of this last straight line? )

Hmm, I'm not sure that I fully understand what you mean. I know how to find the parametic to DC, but what should I do with the two parametics?

Do you know how to obtain the equations (parametric, or vectorial, or any of the multiple type of equations of a straight line) of the unique straight line that passes through C and D ?

CD=[-2-(46/17), 2-(54/17)]=[-(80/17),-(20/17]
The parametric will then be
x=-2-(80/17)t
y=2-(20/17)t

Well, given that you already know that [tex]\vec{CD}[/tex] is parallel to vector [tex]\vec{AB}[/tex] and this last one is easier to calculate with, let us use it to form the equations of the unique straight line that passes through C and D. We can use the point [tex]D[/tex] and the vector [tex]\vec{AB}[/tex], so the parametric equations of that unique straight line are:

[tex]x=-2+8s; y=2+2s[/tex]

Now you only have to obtain the point interesection of those two straight lines (this last one, and the one given by: [tex]x=t; y=2t-1[/tex] ). Do you know how to do this?

1.) -2+8s=t
2.) 2+2s=2t-1

1) s=(t+2)/8

2.) 2+2*((t+2)/8)=2t-1
t=2

Good, so you now know that t=2, then, in [tex]x=t;y=2t-1[/tex] you insert [tex]t=2[/tex] and obtain [tex]E[/tex], but the most important thing (far beyond any calculation) is: did you understand the reasoning behind this calculation?

Yes, I actually did! To be honest, in the beginning I didn't think I would. After looking through it some times I understand it now. I am sorry, that I am slow learner, and it took some time for me to fully understand what you meant. I really do appriate your help! Thank you so much!

You're welcome! And you must know that at the beginning we all were kind of "slow" :-)

Haha, I will remember that :)

Related to How Do You Solve for t When Point E Lies on Line CD?

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are commonly represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in many branches of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration, and are essential in understanding and solving problems related to motion, forces, and other physical phenomena.

3. What are the basic operations on vectors?

The basic operations on vectors include addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. Vector addition involves adding the corresponding components of two vectors to create a new vector. Vector subtraction is similar, but involves subtracting the components of one vector from the components of another. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar, which changes the magnitude of the vector but not its direction.

4. How are vectors represented mathematically?

Vectors can be represented mathematically in several ways. One common way is to use column matrices, where the first row represents the x-component, the second row represents the y-component, and the third row represents the z-component (if in 3D). Another way is to use unit vectors, which have a magnitude of 1 and point in a specific direction, to represent the components of a vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors?

Vectors have many real-world applications, such as in navigation, where they are used to represent the direction and distance between two points. They are also used in computer graphics to represent the movement and position of objects in a 3D space. In physics, they are used to analyze and predict the motion of objects in fields such as mechanics and electromagnetism.