How Do You Solve the Offset Slider-Crank Mechanism at θ = 45°?

• Thread starter oxon88
  • Start date
In summary, the angle θ = 45° determines the velocity of the piston, the angular velocity of AB about point A (i.e. ωAB), and the acceleration of point B relative to A (aBA).
oxon88

Homework Statement

For the mechanism shown in FIGURE 1 determine for the angle θ = 45°:
(i) the velocity of the piston relative to the fixed point O (VBO)
(ii) the angular velocity of AB about point A (i.e. ωAB)
(iii) the acceleration of point B relative to A (aBA).
Capture.PNG

Note: Link AB is horizontal when θ = 45°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

this is a self study question which I am struggling with, can anyone offer some guidance please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you stuck?

If you haven't found the velocity and acceleration of point A you should revise uniform circular motion.

Once you have that the rest should follow pretty easily.
you only need v=wr and some trig. to answer i and ii

(i) the velocity of the piston relative to the fixed point O (VBO)

Angular Velocity, ω = 10∏ rads/sec

VAO = ω x r = 0.05m x 10∏ rads/sec = 1.571 m/s

θ = 45
VAO = 1.571 m/s

Sin(45) = VBO / 1.571

VBO = Sin(45) x 1.571 = 1.11 m/s

Is this correct so far?

(ii) the angular velocity of AB about point A (i.e. ωAB)

WAB = VBO/r = 1.11 / 0.2 = 5.55 rad/s-1

can anyone confirm if the above is correct please?

I'm stuck on the same questions! Have you drawn it out with scaling? Eg. 1cm = 1m/s & 1cm = 10mm?

someone suggested this to me but I am still stuck

i was totally stuck with this. Not looked at it recently. i did draw it and got the same result as i recall. drop me a pm if you like.

Yes I'm also stuck on this, I get the same value for the velocity of the piston and the link AB, it's the acceleration I'm struggling with? Anybody managed to solve this part?

Are you familiar with circular motion?
do you know the equation for centripetal acceleration?

can you just use w^2 X r or (V^2)/r for the acceleration

Forget about the connecting rod being level at this instant, and instead think of the situation with very small theta, so that the crank pin is above the wrist pin, giving the connecting rod an inclination phi.
Now write these two loop closure equations:
r*sin(theta) + L*cos(phi) - x = 0
r*cos(theta) - L*sin(phi) - e =0
where
r = crank radius
theta = crank angle from vertical as given
L = connecting rod length
phi = angle of connecting rod with the horizontal
x = horizontal distance from crank pivot to wrist pin (on the piston)
e = offset from crank pivot up to piston center line.

For any assigned value of theta, you can solve the second equation for phi.
With those two values (theta, phi), you can evaluate x from the first equation.

Differentiate these equations once to find velocities, and differentiate again to find accelerations. It is really very, very simple, provided you are not afraid to differentiate!

For part (iii) I am unsure how to solve using vector diagrams.. I think the crank being offset has thrown me

I worked out aOA = 49.349m/s^2 and aBA(radial) = 6.161m/s^2

Did you try the process I described above? Somehow I doubt it because it never fails if you do it correctly. Since I don't know any better way to do the problem, I'll have to leave you to your own devices. Good Luck!

Hey OldEngr63, I'm sure your way of solving works but I'm looking for help solving using vector diagrams.

Thanks anyways!

Related to How Do You Solve the Offset Slider-Crank Mechanism at θ = 45°?

What is the offset slider-crank problem?

The offset slider-crank problem is a mechanical engineering problem that involves determining the motion of a slider-crank mechanism, which consists of a crank connected to a slider by a connecting rod. The offset refers to the distance between the slider's center of rotation and the crank's center of rotation.

What are the applications of the offset slider-crank mechanism?

The offset slider-crank mechanism is commonly used in engines, pumps, and other mechanical systems to convert rotary motion into linear motion. It is also used in machines that require precise and controlled motion, such as printing presses and milling machines.

What factors affect the motion of the offset slider-crank mechanism?

The motion of the offset slider-crank mechanism is affected by various factors, including the length of the connecting rod, the offset distance, the speed of the crank, and the angle of the crank. Additionally, external forces, such as friction and gravity, can also affect the motion of the mechanism.

How is the offset slider-crank problem solved?

The offset slider-crank problem can be solved using mathematical equations and graphical methods. The equations involve trigonometric functions and can be solved using algebraic methods. Graphical methods, such as vector diagrams, can help visualize the motion of the mechanism and aid in solving the problem.

What are the limitations of the offset slider-crank mechanism?

The offset slider-crank mechanism has a limited range of motion due to the constraints of the connecting rod and the offset distance. It also experiences high stresses and wear in the joints, which can affect its durability. Additionally, the mechanism may suffer from inaccuracies and errors due to external factors such as friction and manufacturing tolerances.