How Do You Start a Career in Theoretical Physics?

• Thread starter QuantumCurt
  • Start date
In summary, "Exploring the Path to Theoretical Physics: A New Member's Journey" is a comprehensive guide for individuals interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics. It covers topics such as the history and current state of the field, as well as advice on navigating the academic and research aspects. The target audience for this book includes those with a strong interest in theoretical physics, including beginners, students, and early-career researchers. The book covers a wide range of topics including the history, current research areas, mathematical foundations, and career advice. It also touches on related fields such as mathematics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Hey everyone, I stumbled across this forum a little bit ago, and it looks like the place for me to be. I'm just finishing up my first year of college, and I'm currently majoring in physics. I'm in a community college right now, but the plans are to transfer to a university and double major in physics and mathematics, with possible minors in philosophy and/or computer science.

The ultimate goal is to go into theoretical physics, but I've still got a long path ahead of me. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for everyone here over the rest of my college career, and beyond.

I've been browsing around on the forums, and it looks like a great community here. I look forward to spending some time on here in the future. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome QuantumCurt! I hope you'll enjoy your stay!

Your first two obligatory steps should be to read the forum rules and declare your favorite fish.

Welcome to the forum. Warning --- make it a small fish :smile:

phinds said:
Welcome to the forum. Warning --- make it a small fish :smile:

Do you want to be banned? You know there are things we don't discuss on line.

Borek said:
declare your favorite fish.

what does this mean ?

Borek said:
...declare your favorite fish.

krash661 said:
what does this mean ?

To make known formally, officially, or explicitly, of or relating to one or oneself, any of numerous cold-blooded strictly aquatic craniate vertebrates, that is treated or regarded with special liking.

According to my google searches.

You are welcome.

Borek said:
Your first two obligatory steps should be to read the forum rules and declare your favorite fish.

Rules are read. I've got to say, I love the section pertaining to the pseudosciences in there. I think I'm going to like it around here.

Favorite fish? I don't know that I could name one single favorite fish, but the Emperor Angelfish has always been one of my favorites. The patterns on them have always kind of reminded me of warped spacetime. Pretty neat little guys.

http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php?sp=Pomacanthus_imperator

I'm not sure if they fit the criteria for being small enough though. Should I pick a smaller one?

However, I'm also quite fond of the Babel Fish from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. ;)

QuantumCurt said:
However, I'm also quite fond of the Babel Fish from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. ;)
YESSSSSSSSSSSS finally someone agrees. So how are you liking physics so far? Any particular subject you are deeply vested in / interested in? I personally love general relativity the most :smile:

WannabeNewton said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS finally someone agrees. So how are you liking physics so far? Any particular subject you are deeply vested in / interested in? I personally love general relativity the most :smile:

YESSS! Another Douglas Adams fan! Happy Towel Day my friend! Don't forget to bring your towel!

All of my knowledge of physics up to this point is from a non-academic standpoint. I'm a non-traditional college student so to speak. I'm 26, and just finishing up my first year at community college. I took College Algebra this last semester, and I'm taking Trig over the summer, so I'll be ready to start the general algebra based physics course this coming fall semester, along with Calc I. Then I'll be starting the calc based physics next spring, and onward and upward from there.

My biggest interests? It's hard to really pin that down at this point. I'm very interested in astrophysics and cosmology in general. Particle physics is another big fascination of mine. I've been doing a ton of reading about quantum mechanics lately, and the more I read about it, the more deeply fascinated I'm becoming with it. I don't know what field I really want to ultimately pursue. Initially I wanted to pursue astrophysics, but the more I look into it, I don't know if that's really the ideal field for what I want to pursue. Theoretical physics in general is just such an incredibly fascinating subject. I'm already looking ahead towards the upper level undergrad courses I want to take, and it's going to be difficult to select them, because I want to take them all! I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions for everyone here about course selections in the coming years.

I've been reading a lot of the more "pop-sci" type physics books lately, and my fascination is growing more and more. I can't wait to study some of these topics from an academic standpoint. I'm currently reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and having my mind blown wide open. I've read most of the books that Hawking and Sagan have written. I've got Krauss's "Why There is Something Rather than Nothing" on deck next. I just finished "The Quantum Enigma" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, and was thoroughly flabbergasted by the connection between QM and consciousness.

Your fish will do. Stand still and wait for someone from the Sisterhood to finish the initiation procedure.

I wonder if this blue pattern will leave a copy. Probably depends on a backswing.

QuantumCurt said:
All of my knowledge of physics up to this point is from a non-academic standpoint. I'm a non-traditional college student so to speak. I'm 26, and just finishing up my first year at community college. I took College Algebra this last semester, and I'm taking Trig over the summer, so I'll be ready to start the general algebra based physics course this coming fall semester, along with Calc I. Then I'll be starting the calc based physics next spring, and onward and upward from there.
Well best of luck to you! I saw in the other thread that you were transferring to UIUC. Make sure you take the honors math sequence there and take the specialized physics curriculum physics major.

QuantumCurt said:
I've been reading a lot of the more "pop-sci" type physics books lately, and my fascination is growing more and more. I can't wait to study some of these topics from an academic standpoint. I'm currently reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and having my mind blown wide open. I've read most of the books that Hawking and Sagan have written. I've got Krauss's "Why There is Something Rather than Nothing" on deck next. I just finished "The Quantum Enigma" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, and was thoroughly flabbergasted by the connection between QM and consciousness.
Fun stuff, although you should always keep in mind that textbook physics will be quite different from the stuff presented in these texts. Sagan is an awesome writer though, I love him.

WannabeNewton said:
Well best of luck to you! I saw in the other thread that you were transferring to UIUC. Make sure you take the honors math sequence there and take the specialized physics curriculum physics major.

That's what the plan is. I'm looking at several other schools too, but UIUC is my main target. I'm looking at UChicago as well, but the chances of getting accepted there as a transfer are astronomically slim. I'm definitely planning on taking the honors math sequence there. I'll be taking at least the honors calculus sequence at my CC starting this fall, and possibly going into the campus wide honors program for all of my math/science courses, so I'll be prepared for the honors sequence at UIUC. I'll definitely be taking the specialized curriculum there too. I'm considering taking it with an astrophysics concentration, but I don't know if I'll really be able to squeeze it in between the double major and a minor in philosophy or computer science.

Did you go to UIUC?

Fun stuff, although you should always keep in mind that textbook physics will be quite different from the stuff presented in these texts. Sagan is an awesome writer though, I love him.

Oh I know. There's a world of difference between popsci physics books and actual physics. But, as a precursor to spawn a great deal of interest in the world of physics, these books have been incredible.

QuantumCurt said:
That's what the plan is. I'm looking at several other schools too, but UIUC is my main target. I'm looking at UChicago as well, but the chances of getting accepted there as a transfer are astronomically slim. I'm definitely planning on taking the honors math sequence there. I'll be taking at least the honors calculus sequence at my CC starting this fall, and possibly going into the campus wide honors program for all of my math/science courses, so I'll be prepared for the honors sequence at UIUC. I'll definitely be taking the specialized curriculum there too. I'm considering taking it with an astrophysics concentration, but I don't know if I'll really be able to squeeze it in between the double major and a minor in philosophy or computer science.

Did you go to UIUC?
Sounds like you've got it all planned out :smile:. And I'm currently at a different university actually (I'm a rising sophomore like yourself), but I know their program quite well. UChicago has abysmally low transfer rates for just about anyone so don't feel bad if things don't work out with regards to that. UIUC is one of the top schools for physics so it won't really matter, plus it will be a hell of a lot cheaper if you're in-state. Best of luck again! I hope you do well in physics and math.

WannabeNewton said:
Sounds like you've got it all planned out :smile:. And I'm currently at a different university actually (I'm a rising sophomore like yourself), but I know their program quite well. UChicago has abysmally low transfer rates for just about anyone so don't feel bad if things don't work out with regards to that. UIUC is one of the top schools for physics so it won't really matter, plus it will be a hell of a lot cheaper if you're in-state. Best of luck again! I hope you do well in physics and math.

Yeah, I won't feel bad if I get denied at UChicago. I think they accepted like 10-15 transfers this last round of acceptances, out of like 3000 transfer applicants. So, I'm not banking on that. Honestly, I might rather go to UIUC in a lot of ways anyway. As you said, UIUC is one of the top schools for physics in the country. And I live in Illinois, so the tuition at UIUC will be waaaaaay lower than UChicago. A difference of $30,000 a year or so. That's significant...lol

Thanks! Best of luck to you too!

QuantumCurt said:
Thanks! Best of luck to you too!
Thanks, I'll need it :smile:

Borek said:
Your fish will do. Stand still and wait for someone from the Sisterhood to finish the initiation procedure.

I wonder if this blue pattern will leave a copy. Probably depends on a backswing.

When should I be expecting the completion of the initiation process? I've been standing here waiting for 2 and a half hours now? Is this going to take long? I'm not trying to be pushy, just wondering...because I did have some plans for the night. ;)

OK, you asked for it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

Welcome, QuantumCurt :smile:!

lol...Thanks for the welcome! Am I initiated now!?

Last edited:
QuantumCurt said:
lol...Thanks for the welcome! An I initiated now!?

Indeed you are. Welcome aboard

phinds said:
Indeed you are. Welcome aboard

Thank you. I've got to say, when I heard initiation, the Monty Pythons Fish Slapping Dance was the last thing I was expecting. I don't consider that so much an initiation as just a normal part of my everyday life. :wink:

QuantumCurt said:
Thank you. I've got to say, when I heard initiation, the Monty Pythons Fish Slapping Dance was the last thing I was expecting. I don't consider that so much an initiation as just a normal part of my everyday life. :wink:

Then you'll fit right in. :smile:

Borek said:

So only the sisterhood is authorized to do it these days?

Borek said:

But he'd like it won't he? Warped spacetime indeed...

mishrashubham said:
So only the sisterhood is authorized to do it these days?
Tunas are free for all. :smile:

Related to How Do You Start a Career in Theoretical Physics?

1. What is the purpose of "Exploring the Path to Theoretical Physics: A New Member's Journey"?

The purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive guide for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics. It covers various topics such as the history of theoretical physics, the current state of the field, and advice on how to navigate the academic and research aspects of this field.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is individuals who have a strong interest in theoretical physics and are considering pursuing it as a career. It may also be useful for students who are already enrolled in a theoretical physics program or early-career researchers looking for guidance in their field.

3. Is this book suitable for beginners in theoretical physics?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners in theoretical physics. It provides a comprehensive overview of the field and does not assume any prior knowledge. However, some mathematical and scientific background may be helpful in fully understanding the concepts discussed in the book.

4. What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers a wide range of topics related to theoretical physics, including the history of the field, current research areas, mathematical foundations, and career advice. It also includes interviews with leading theoretical physicists and their insights on the field.

5. Is this book only focused on theoretical physics or does it cover other related fields?

This book primarily focuses on theoretical physics, but it also touches on related fields such as mathematics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics. It provides a broad overview of the interconnectedness of these fields and how they contribute to the advancement of theoretical physics.