How Does a Cavity and Geometry Affect Electric Fields in Linear Dielectrics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an electric field and a spherical cavity. The person is seeking guidance on how the cavity affects the problem and how the geometry of the problem relates to it. Another person suggests considering the spherical case and using the hint given, which involves replacing the cavity with a polarized sphere. The field inside a uniformly polarized sphere is then discussed, and superposition is used to find the complete field at the center of the sphere. A reminder to satisfy dielectric boundary conditions is also given.
mathlete
Here's the problem:

http://img41.imageshack.us/my.php?image=efield3od.png

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction? I'm really stuck on two things - how does the cavity affect the problem (the hint doesn't really help me), and what does the geometry of the problem (since I'm giving 3 shapes) have to do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me discuss the spherical case and hopefully then you can generalize. The hint says that you can replace the spherical cavity with an oppositely polarized spherical object superimposed on the original dielectric. Now, what is the field inside a uniformly polarized sphere? With this information, you can use superposition to find the complete field at the center of the sphere. One more word of caution, make sure you still satisfy that dielectric boundary conditions.

Related to How Does a Cavity and Geometry Affect Electric Fields in Linear Dielectrics?

1. What are linear dielectrics?

Linear dielectrics are materials that can store electrical energy through the displacement of bound charges within their atomic or molecular structure. They do not conduct electricity, but can be polarized in the presence of an electric field.

2. What is the difference between linear and non-linear dielectrics?

The main difference between linear and non-linear dielectrics is their response to an applied electric field. Linear dielectrics have a linear relationship between the applied electric field and the induced polarization, while non-linear dielectrics have a non-linear relationship. This means that the polarization of a non-linear dielectric is not directly proportional to the applied electric field.

3. How are linear dielectrics characterized?

Linear dielectrics are characterized by their dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity. This is a measure of how easily the material can be polarized in the presence of an electric field. The dielectric constant is a dimensionless quantity, with a value of 1 for a vacuum and higher values for other materials.

4. What are some common applications of linear dielectrics?

Linear dielectrics have many practical applications in electronic devices, such as capacitors, insulators, and dielectric coatings. They are also used in medical imaging equipment, as they can be polarized by the electric fields produced by X-rays or magnetic fields.

5. How do linear dielectrics affect the behavior of electric fields?

Linear dielectrics can alter the strength of an electric field by reducing it through the process of polarization. This means that the effective electric field within a dielectric material is weaker than the applied electric field. Linear dielectrics also have the ability to store electric energy, which can affect the overall behavior of the electric field in a given system.