How Does Compounded Interest Affect My CD Investment Over Three Years?

In summary, the account value at the end of the 3rd year is $8,729.44 and the total interest earned during the 3-year period is $729.44. To find the account value, you can use the formula A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the account value, P is the initial investment, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years. In this case, r = 0.022, n = 12, and t = 3. To
Niaboc67
Eve deposited $8.000 in a 3-year certificate of deposit, which pays 2.2% compounded monthly. Find the account value at the end of the 3rd year and the amount of interest earned during the whole 3-year period.

I think i use the payment to a sinking fund formula but i am not sure. possible formula: R=S*i/((1+i)^n -1)

Any help would be great thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
To start, do you have a formula for interest compounded monthly?

To find the interest earned in the third year, (total amount after 36 months)-(total amount after 24 months).

Niaboc67 said:
Eve deposited $8.000 in a 3-year certificate of deposit, which pays 2.2% compounded monthly. Find the account value at the end of the 3rd year and the amount of interest earned during the whole 3-year period.

I think i use the payment to a sinking fund formula but i am not sure. possible formula: R=S*i/((1+i)^n -1)

Any help would be great thank you!

Do not use formulas to start with, especially if you do not understand them and are not sure which ones to use. Just do the problem directly, or at least, *start out* doing it directly. After you see the "pattern", then---and only then---should you contemplate using a formula to finish the problem, because then you will know which formula applies.

So, here are some steps you need to follow to get started.

(i) What is the monthly interest rate? The question is vague here: is the 2.2% an _annual_ rate or is it the monthly rate? Personally, I suspect it is an annual rate. In that case, how do you determine the monthly rate?

(ii) After completing (i), how do you determine the value at the end of the first month? What is the value at the end of the second month? The third month?

(iii) By examining (ii), can you find a general formula for the value at the end of month n?

RGV

Last edited:

Related to How Does Compounded Interest Affect My CD Investment Over Three Years?

1. What is an annuity?

An annuity is a financial product that is designed to provide a steady stream of income over a certain period of time. It can be purchased through an insurance company or other financial institution.

2. How does an annuity work?

An annuity works by an individual making a lump sum payment or series of payments to an insurance company or financial institution. The company then invests the money and makes regular payments back to the individual at a later date, typically in fixed intervals.

3. What is an annuity problem?

An annuity problem refers to a specific type of financial calculation that involves determining the present value or future value of an annuity, taking into account factors such as interest rates and payment frequency.

4. Why is the finance annuity problem confusing?

The finance annuity problem can be confusing because it involves complex mathematical calculations and multiple variables that can impact the outcome. Additionally, there are different types of annuities and payment structures that can add to the confusion.

5. How can I solve a finance annuity problem?

To solve a finance annuity problem, you will need to use various financial formulas and equations, such as the present value and future value of an annuity formulas. It is important to have a strong understanding of these concepts and to use accurate and up-to-date financial data in your calculations.