How Does Earth's Magnetic Field Flux Change with Loop Orientation?

The correct conversion is 40 cm^2 equals 0.004 m^2. In summary, when finding the flux of Earth's magnetic field through a square loop, it is important to correctly convert the given area from cm^2 to m^2. This can be done by multiplying the cm^2 value by 0.0001. Once the area is converted, the flux can be calculated using the equation flux = BA cos theta, where A is the area and B is the magnetic field.
goWlfpack
Magnetic flux!

Homework Statement

Find the flux of Earth's magnetic field of magnitude 5.00 10-5 T through a square loop of area 40.0 cm2 for the following:
(a) when the field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop

(b) when the field makes a 20.0° angle with the normal to the plane of the loop

Homework Equations

flux = BA cos theta
where A is the area and B is the magnetic field

The Attempt at a Solution

on the first one i just multiplied 5e-5 by .4 and i got 2.0e-5... and it was wrong and i have NO idea why

the second one i just used the answer i got previously (obviously wrong) and multiplied it by cos of 20... red x
HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

You have to convert cm^2 to m^2 in the correct way

borgwal said:
You have to convert cm^2 to m^2 in the correct way

the correct way? its not directly proportional?

It's directly proportional, but not with the proportionality constant you think!

You seem to think that 40 cm^2 equals 0.4 m^2. That's not true!

Related to How Does Earth's Magnetic Field Flux Change with Loop Orientation?

1. What is magnetic flux of Earth?

The magnetic flux of Earth is the measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area on the Earth's surface. It is a representation of the strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field.

2. What causes Earth's magnetic flux?

Earth's magnetic flux is caused by the motion of molten iron in the Earth's outer core. This motion creates electric currents, which in turn generate Earth's magnetic field.

3. How is magnetic flux of Earth measured?

Magnetic flux of Earth is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields. Scientists use a network of magnetometers around the world to map out the Earth's magnetic field.

4. Is Earth's magnetic flux constant?

No, Earth's magnetic flux is not constant. It changes over time due to variations in the Earth's molten core and the movement of the Earth's crust. These changes can also cause shifts in the location and strength of the Earth's magnetic poles.

5. What is the significance of Earth's magnetic flux?

Earth's magnetic flux is important for many reasons. It helps protect the Earth from harmful solar radiation, and also plays a role in navigation for animals and humans. Additionally, studying changes in Earth's magnetic flux can provide insights into the Earth's geological and environmental processes.