How does quantum entanglement protect a key?

In summary, the Bell inequality tells us that if two photons are entangled, then we have a 50% chance of being able to detect that they are no longer entangled.
gnnmartin
The Bell inequality tells us (in effect) that if two photons (for example) were entangled when emitted, then we have a 50% chance of being able to detect that they were no longer entangled when they were received. To rephrase that, if they are not entangled when they are received, they still have a 50% chance of having that orientation that they would have had if they had still been entangled.

If one has (again, say) 30 pairs of entangled photons, one has only a 1 in a billion chance of not detecting if all 30 have been disentangled, but reports (such as those out today) suggest one can achieve probability 1 of detecting. Is that possible? If so how?

Physics news on Phys.org
gnnmartin said:
...reports (such as those out today) suggest ... Is that possible? If so how?

If you could give us an idea of what you are reading, a more concise answer to your question would be possible.

DrChinese said:
If you could give us an idea of what you are reading, a more concise answer to your question would be possible.
My question was prompted by recent news, such as http://www.nature.com/news/china-s-...-on-way-to-ultrasecure-communications-1.22142, but does not depend on it.

So more simply, can quantum entanglement be used to enable a key to be transmitted in the certain knowledge that the receiver can tell if it has already been read? If so, how? Or is it only possible to achieve arbitrarily high probability that the receiver can tell if the key has already been read?

Google for "quantum key distribution" - the Wikipedia article is pretty good.

Nugatory said:
Google for "quantum key distribution" - the Wikipedia article is pretty good.
Thanks, it is indeed pretty good.

I am (almost) confident that it confirms my understanding that quantum communicator can detect eavesdropping with probability approaching arbitrarily close to 1, but not with complete certainty. The difference is perhaps of no interest to most people, which is why even the Wiki article makes statements like "Second, any attempt at eavesdropping by Eve destroys these correlations in a way that Alice and Bob can detect." rather than "... almost certainly detect".

I say I am 'almost' confident because I am aware that one can feel certain of something and yet be wrong. In the Wiki article it is not difficult to read it without realising that 'confident' means 'effectively confident'. I hoped that respected people here would be able to confirm my conclusion, even if they also felt it necessary to point out I am nit picking. I hoped more fervently that if I am mistaken, someone here could point out why.

Related to How does quantum entanglement protect a key?

1. How does quantum entanglement protect a key?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This means that any change in one particle's state will also affect the state of the other. In the context of protecting a key, quantum entanglement can be used to create a secure communication channel between two parties. By entangling the particles that make up the key, any attempt to intercept or tamper with the key would be immediately detected by the other party, ensuring the security of the key.

2. Can quantum entanglement be used for secure key distribution?

Yes, quantum entanglement can be used for secure key distribution. By entangling the particles that make up the key, the key can be securely transmitted from one party to another. Any attempt to intercept or tamper with the key would result in a change in the entangled particles' state, which would be detected by the other party, ensuring the security of the key.

3. How does quantum entanglement make key distribution more secure?

Quantum entanglement makes key distribution more secure because it ensures the key is transmitted without being intercepted or tampered with. By using entangled particles as the key, any attempt to intercept or tamper with the key would result in a change in the entangled particles' state, which would be immediately detected by the other party. This makes it virtually impossible for an unauthorized party to access the key without being detected.

4. Is quantum entanglement the only way to protect a key?

No, quantum entanglement is not the only way to protect a key. There are other methods of key distribution and protection, such as using encryption algorithms and physical security measures. However, quantum entanglement offers a unique level of security as any attempt to intercept or tamper with the key would be immediately detected, making it a highly reliable method for protecting a key.

5. What are the potential applications of using quantum entanglement to protect a key?

The potential applications of using quantum entanglement to protect a key are numerous. It can be used for secure communication between two parties, secure online transactions, and in the development of quantum computers. Additionally, quantum entanglement has the potential to revolutionize data security in fields such as banking, healthcare, and government agencies, where the protection of sensitive information is crucial.